• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a NEW COMPUTER... what do you guys think???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blinkguy

hey guys i have some money o spend... and i will do it on a new Intel Quad core computer... this is my specs.... i just want to know if it will really rocks on most pc games now days..... just let me know if this will really hit really good Frame rates on games like Call Of duty (the last one) Flight Simlator X, Lock On figthers simulator.. and things like that....

here I go.......

512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel

MSI P35 Neo Combo-F LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

you dont need to know, optical drives, case, or even hard drive... im gona be usng an 7,200 RPM seagate hard drive.

so guys, do you think im gonna be playing some games without the frames freezing up on hardware killing games???? please advice... because im using an pretty ld compter right now and i dont know how well wil it perform.. but please dont tell me about another processor, another video card or something like that, just let me know with this exactly configuration, and dont cross the line taking about another hardware you preffer because we will never end this post. thanks again!!!

I agree with reddevil, if you are primarily a gamer, then a dual core will be a tad better in games. Understand that a quad will still perform well, but a dual core just performs better in games. No game out afaik will use all four cores.

If you have an application that will use all four cores then by all means get the quad.

Yes a Q6600 ( If O.C.ed) and an 8800gt should do a pretty solid job on most of the games out right now. Short term a dual core would likely be more beneficial, Long term, Who knows what will be out by the time games are coded for quads. Personally that is why I would just go Dual core right now. Quads are great, However there just isn't much out there that can really take advantage of the extra cores, And with the advances in technology moving as fast as it does, In a couple of years the landscape could shift quite a bit.

Quite a few changes I would make:

8800GTS will get you better frames than the 8800GT
E8400 will clock higher and perform better in games
Combo boards that use DDR3 and DDR2 are not known for being very good

Gigabyte P35-DS3L - $90
G.Skill 2x1gb PC6400 - $45
Intel E8400 or 3110 - $200
8800GTS - $200

Total :$535

Try going for some 10k rpm HD's too. Two of the same size makes for a great RAID-0 array.

And yeah, ditch the combo board, check out Gigabyte or ( my favorite so far ) ASUS.

Make sure you have a GOOD power supply, like Corsair, Silverstone, Tagan, or ANTEC.

What OS are you going to use? If your gonna go 64 bit, get 4x1gb's of RAM.

Remember, when building a new PC look towards the future. It sucks building a PC and than realising you'll have to upgrade it a few months from now because you just missed "new technology".

Oh, and WELCOME!!!! You came to THE right place.

If you are overclocking you are better off with 2x2gb of memory. Don't waste your money on 10k hd's since you already have a hd and don't need a new one. Later on if you want some more speed you can pick one up.

What resolution do you plan to use for gaming? If it's 1680x1050 or higher, most newer games will be limited by your video card and there will be virtually no difference between a Q6600 and an E8400. In that case, I definitely recommend going with the Q6600 so you can take advantage of multi-threaded software. I have yet to hear a sensible explanation for this notion that "the E8400 is better than the Q6600 for gaming". Most people play at resolutions and quality settings where the video card is the limiting factor, so any C2Q/C2Q processor will yield identical performance. For those who use lower resolutions or play older games, it is true that the framerates will scale with CPU speed, but even a Q6600 at stock speed will provide very high framerates (high enough that the difference between an E8400 and Q6600 won't be detectable without a framerate counter).

Back