• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clone running OSX is a HOAX!!! The cake is a lie!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh well, figures someone would try and do something like this. Either they are trying to steal credit card information and are a bunch of con artists or they built el cheapo PC's and put the OSX cracks on it that are available out there to install the OS on the computer. I played with this a few years ago and had a functioning OSX install on my AMD rig at home. It does work and is capable. Either way I think the media attention scared them and they are trying to cover their tracks.

That was the dumbest possible idea I had read in a long time. I'm nearly certain that this must have been thought up by a couple people that just finished their OSX86 project and thought, "hey we can charge people for doing this." Naturally they didn't think of the legal ramifications of such a service.

1) Apple OS's cannot be installed on anything other than Apple Hardware
2) People try to justify it by purchasing a Leopard key, however in order to install it on a x86 machine, it requires a modified kernel... again against TOS.

Then to top it off they are offering it as a preloaded system LOL.
I would have like to see that purchase agreement. It must have read something like "You are purchasing it with Leopard 10.5.2, you are not entitled to any other OS updates. If you would like to update your Operating System, please consult your local BitTorrent site.

Looks like they are going to try and garner this attention into something tanglible. The link posted by the OP now shows a business

I knew it was going to be something like that energy Zebra car company :)

Glad I called it right.

Umm...this does not change the fact that Leopard CAN be made to work on MOST systems out there. And that people DONT need to buy the over priced Apple hardware to use Leopard. Software Updates work fine too...and big updates like 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 have been made to work as well. Just do some research. Im not supporting Psystar here so dont get me wrong.

I just hope that maybe with factory Hackintoshes now being sold as well as an active home-brew Hackintosh community, Stevie Jobs will see the light and release an official copy that we can buy and install on our own hardware legally and with full update support without having to figure ways to get updates. I just bought me a Mini to try out Leopard and it's pretty nice so far. If I could get legal copies to install on my other machines instead of Windows, I would seriously consider it. But frankly, I'm not real impressed with the Mini's hardware. It's ok but should be priced at least $200 less than what it costs.

I just hope that maybe with factory Hackintoshes now being sold as well as an active home-brew Hackintosh community, Stevie Jobs will see the light and release an official copy that we can buy and install on our own hardware legally and with full update support without having to figure ways to get updates. I just bought me a Mini to try out Leopard and it's pretty nice so far. If I could get legal copies to install on my other machines instead of Windows, I would seriously consider it. But frankly, I'm not real impressed with the Mini's hardware. It's ok but should be priced at least $200 less than what it costs.

Well the problem is it will probably never happen. Their hardware is a big money maker. Just think of the mark up! Its too bad too.

A couple years ago I picked up a mini when they first came out to play around with OS X. At the time it was OS X - Panther, pretty solid and have tinkered a little with Leopard, however upgrade annoyances & of course legality issues stopped it from being anything more than a weekend project.

Honestly though with playing around, if they ever sold Leopard for the retail PC market I would definitely consider switching my boxes (aside from my gaming rig at the time) over.

However factors to consider.

1) If they did sell it to the mass PC market and allowed OEM retailers like Dell to install OS X you will very quickly see OS X bloat up, similar to how Windows is. I'm not saying it will be as bad, but you have to remember, the OS is essentially built around a very precise set of hardware combinations. You introduce PC's and all its different hardware available you are bound to see some extra "girth" to it.

2) Apple is (and rightfully so) set to the initial computing business model where money is made from hardware.

3) Price for price with a typical enduser in mind, their prices aren't THAT far off from pc's.

4) They just set a record for their quarterly earnings. With a garbage economy, their sales continue to rise. Why would they tilt the scale so much by essentially reporting record earnings and then switch around their business model. Won't happen.

In summary, I'm really curious to how Apple is going to respond to this considering it is completely against EULA to do what they are doing.

Well the problem is it will probably never happen. Their hardware is a big money maker. Just think of the mark up! Its too bad too.

That's just idiotic. If they released OSX for PC people would drop Windows like a hot sack of sh** and the software sales would completely dwarf anything that apple is making on hardware now. They would BE the computer industry.

no, people wouldnt drop windows like a hot sack of **** because most people are uised to windows, like windows and all they do is windows based.

moving from one OS to another is a big move, i had OSX tiger then leopard for just over a year and i used windows %99 of the time on my macbook - i like windows, i have no reason for OSX.

they would be far from it, too much of the world is reliant on windows, it would take many many many many many years for OSX to come close to any significant market share, thinking it would happen over night, that is idiotic.

I have to agree, even though it seems like a great idea to offer OS X to the PC world. People aren't typically going to upgrade their OS on the normal enduser level. Think about it, how many people do you know (average users) that after they buy their Dell actually upgrade their operating system?

Sure if Apple allowed OEM, people might start ordering it with OS X preloaded because it would be the "in" thing to do.

The other thing to factor is the corporate world (which accounts for significant business). It would be near impossible for any sort of Windows ran cooperate environment to switch. Microsoft is so deep routed into our corporate world taking over that market would be so costly almost no large scale business could make the switch.

That's just idiotic. If they released OSX for PC people would drop Windows like a hot sack of sh** and the software sales would completely dwarf anything that apple is making on hardware now. They would BE the computer industry.

Then why haven't they done it? What I've said is absolutely true. They make too much money on hardware to care about releasing it. And definately not everyone would jump over to OSX. Were that the case, it would be way more popular now. Lots of Joe Blows would buy a mac. But the reason they don't is because of lack of education on the matter, not wanting to change from what they know, and the fact that they don't care, they just want to use facebook.

Apple hardware subsidizes their operating system development. That's how it works. They need the hardware price to cover development costs.

If Microsoft didn't sell so many software units they would do the same thing.

Apple has bad history with clones. Read this:

As long as SPJ is at the helm there will be NO new Macintosh clones.

Back