• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire 3870x2 Hissing noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sndm3mny

hey everyone i have the sapphire ati 3870x2 video card and well it worked fine...

but all of a sudden it started to make this hissing noise its not loud @ all but its loud enough for me to hear it....when i boot its just a little slight hissing then when its in windows it hisses then cuts off for 1 second then does it again then cuts off etc etc etc.....

does anyone else have this card or any other model of it and experience this?

if not ill just RMA the BEAST! im not surprised this thing broke because its a monster and monsters tend to fail :beer:

to further add i thought it was my mother board but i just took the card out and put my old 2600pro card in and its not hissing anymore.....so thats why im assuming its the card...maybe its not but from what i see it is....

oh and one more edit...the card works fine in games and all that g00d stuff...i get roughly about the same score in 3dmark06 ...and yeah ok thanks

I had the same thing when I overclocked it a bit. I don't have the card anymore, but I distinctly remember that.

thats the thing i didnt overclock mine....well yeah i kinda did....i raised the LOW 3D to match the HIGH 3D if anyone knows what im talking about?

thats the thing i didnt overclock mine....well yeah i kinda did....i raised the LOW 3D to match the HIGH 3D if anyone knows what im talking about?
Yes, I know what you are talking about but there is no real affect since most 3D apps will never use low 3D ;)

Yes, I know what you are talking about but there is no real affect since most 3D apps will never use low 3D ;)

yeah i know....but you think that could be the problem? and do you think i should RMA it? ill do the stock bios flash and ill get back to you
thanks for the response man. ill get back to you

yeah i know....but you think that could be the problem? and do you think i should RMA it? ill do the stock bios flash and ill get back to you
thanks for the response man. ill get back to you
No, there is nothing wrong with it. I think I have heard of other people with the same issue, but I can't confirm. All I know if mine did it :shrug:

It didn't have any issues though.

Could it be a fan bearing? For instance...

Overclocking the card is making the fan run faster. Maybe the increased speed of the fan is making the bearing squeal a little.

Could it be a fan bearing? For instance...

Overclocking the card is making the fan run faster. Maybe the increased speed of the fan is making the bearing squeal a little.

negative, this cards fan runs @ 30% all the time i did use rivatuner to keep it @ a consistent 40% because the games i play are very demanding on video considering the fact i would put all settings on high with full AA and its not the fan because when i put my Finger on it to stop the fan it still makes the noise it sounds like its comming from the GPU or some thing.

lol i even unplugged all my case fans stoped cpu fan did all that before i pulled the cards out because pulling it out of an antec 900 is hard...lol

Back