• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking pro tips!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

hi. now i have not seen a specific overclocking section to post this in (if there is, please move it and sry:)) so.

i am by no means a pro overclocker. i have a solid idea as to what and how to get results but i do not know all of the little tricks and tweaks.

i was wondering if you pros out there have specific techniques or procedures that you use to get the best 24/7 or even solely benchmark OC results. whether its sticking to a certain NB or FSB voltage or if you feel a certain time to vary either of them.

feel free to post :)

If your interested in the benchmarking aspect, tweaks/tricks usually target one specific test. You could spend alot of time learing just that aspect of overclocking. You can always ask specific questions over in the benchmarking forums, we've got lot's of guys who can help you out.

i have always been interested in going for some dry ice, however, i am looking more for the tweaks/tricks (if they exist beyond simple ocing procedure, which they may or may not) for long term use.

say i want to take my E6600 and run it stable with the lowest voltages and achieve the best performance and temps at 3.6ghz (hypothetically) for a prolonged use (from gaming to simple desktop work).

Thats what benchmarks are built for, I suggest you run them ;)

Change system setup (namely multi & memory frequencies) and test again. It's pretty straight forward and no one can do it for you, each system needs to be tuned individually.

lol i run my benchies...

just curious, tried to start maybe an educational thread not just for me but for others.
as i said above, i know i am not a pro, and i know that pros change their hardware often, but maybe there is some kinda methodology (as said, beyond the staple procedure) they have grown to like and follow.

just to see others thoughts :)

Not change the hardware, change system settings (BIOS) and re-test. There are a few basic steps people will take like finding max FSB or memory frequency or the lowest working voltage at your target frequency. Again the benchmarks (or whatever ;)) are the tools used to answer those questions.

When I get a new chip the first thing I do is find the maximum FSB, you can do that by dropping the multiplier. The basic idea is to remove the processor frequency as a limit and focus on the chips FSB potential only.

yeah.. well i was saying they work on new hardware fairly often, so maybe have tweaks or procedures they follow that isnt hardware specific.

so you just bottom out the multiplier and go to hell with the FSB? i can get orhtos stable at around 3.6-3.7, however, this board likes to lose the settings upon restart/shutdown (like it does if clock settings arent stable).

how do you factor in fsb and gmch voltage? fsb voltage up if you get up into the 400mhz? just add some gmch if you are unstable? or is it just playing around with a combo until the preferable works out.

Back