• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Have/Has Ran 4x512mb Memory Configs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Does or has anyone ever ran 4x 512mb memory configurations if so what performance would get against 2x 1GB modules. A friend brought this up and during the convo tried to sell me his current 4x512mb Crucial Ballistix memory even thou I don't need it.

So he got me wondering and I have been meaning to ask about the best & worst set-ups for memory people have had on here when building.

I went from 4x512 sticks of DDR2-667 5-5-5-15 to 2x1GB of DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 a while ago expecting some kind of speed increase, boy was I naive.. Even memory benches were within 1% or less. Didn't feel any faster and didn't raise my max OC at all.

In my backup rig i am running 4 sticks of ballistix tracer pc6400 512s and they are running at 1134 and they are rock solid stable with 2.15 volts. Orthos stable, wprime stable and p95 stable 24/7. Pretty dam impressive as far as im concerned. Plus if i remember correctly in my bios the northbridge is only at 1.44 volts. As a matter of fact most of the voltage settings are set way low in the bios and my E6300 is running at 3.3 stable as a rock. When i get a chance i can take some pictures of the bios and show you the exact settings if that will help you out. If your friend still wants to sell them let me know i will take them off his hands in a heartbeat. Just as long as they are the older 2 sided sticks.

2sticks > 4 > 1 > 3

With 2 or 4 sticks, you take advantage of dual channel interleaving.
4 sticks have twice the chance of failing as 2 sticks.
3 sticks have three times the chance of failing as 1 stick.

Back