• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, I had my desktop pc break 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to figure out how it..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

So, I had my desktop pc break 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to figure out how it..

Ok, so 2 weeks ago I smelt something burning and my window was open, so I thought it was coming from outside. Well, I closed the window and the smell got stronger. I didn't think much of it until I moved my desktop's mouse and got no response. I thought it froze up or something. So I reached in the back of the PC to turn it off and I burnt my hand. What do you think it is that burned up? I'm thinking its the power supply, but I'm taking it out of its corner, note, TINY corner with 3 other PCs around it. What do you think it is?

Also, I'll just add my other question into this thread to. I have a 2.2 or 2.4ghz (forgot what I OCed it to), 1gb ddr ram, 250gb western digital harddrive, nvidia geforce 6800gt and whenever I do fresh installs of WinXP, Vista Ultimate, or Linux OSes, it ALWAYS runs very slow, or at least to me. What could be the problem? And also, I want to buy another PC to build, but this last one I built didn't go to well. I built it right, but the parts were busted...And, how in the world do I get a nice looking PC on the inside and how do I hook up a water cooling system that lights up when it's on? I do have experience with computers, but not building them. How should I go about building a new one if I do?

I'll post an update and let you know what I find in the case once it's opened.

EDIT: I just opened it and I don't see nothing physically wrong with it. What do you think the problem is? Note, I did burn my hand when I touched it 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
HSF? Is that short for heat-sink fan? If so, yes it's on securely.

Sure sounds like a bad power supply to me. Install a new one and check your temps and stability.

right now i got ubuntu installed on it, any way to check temp and stability on it? also, will any power supply work, i got no others laying around LOL...

My other PCs are constantly running though. One's a file server (although crappy and small XD) and ones a web server, again crappy and small LOLS

You said 3 others. One file server and one web server...and then what, a pr0n server? Lol, jk. How about this. Go to a local electronics retailer, buy a psu, try it on your pc, and return it when you are done. :D

You said 3 others. One file server and one web server...and then what, a pr0n server? Lol, jk. How about this. Go to a local electronics retailer, buy a psu, try it on your pc, and return it when you are done. :D

Yeah... Those people working at the store don't have anything better to do than sit around and process RMAs for returned product or test to see if they're still any good. They don't have any real work to do. You wouldn't be wasting any of their time and money... :rolleyes:

Looks like you're going to have to bite the bullet and get a new PSU. Can't think of anything else that could have heated up the outside of your case that much. The one Trap05 suggested would be ideal if you're not looking to spend a lot of cash. Or the Antec Earthwatts 380 is a little more powerful for a little more dough.

As far as your OS installing slow, a faulty PSU could cause that I suppose if it wasn't supplying correct voltages to your HD, optical drive, etc..

If you're wanting to clean up your PC inside to make it look nice, check out this thread here. Lots of good ideas. There's not really just one way to do it. It all depends on your case, hardware, and cables you use.

For your watercooling questions, check out the watercooling subsection under the cooling section. Lots of good stickies with tons of info, and lots of extremely knowledgeable people hang out there. :beer:

Back