• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can be causing this!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coreyhm1

This has been happening randomly for the past week or so. It only happens when launching a game, or minimizing/maximizing to a game. Or even 3dmark, or any 3d application that makes your screen "fash" or "flicker" when launching. But like i said, it doesn't happen all the time. Now, if i turn the monitor off and back on, it fixes it, or minimize/maximize a couple times might fix it. And it doesn't always look the same, different patterns, Sometimes the screen may appear to be split in half.

VIDEO CLICK please! :(

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Coreyhm1/?action=view&current=DSCF2770.flv

I'm not even sure this is video card related as much as monitor. I have all the newest drivers, and the one for my monitor.

What is that a video of? How did you make it? Is it like a second's worth of what your screen looks like from your computer? It looks like part of the screen is missing or something?

You said that turning the monitor off and on again fixes it sometimes? Are you sure that the computer just didn't coincidently stop doing it in the time the monitor was off? Is it something that if left alone will stay flickering forever?

It is definitely an output problem though, right? I mean the programs themselves appear to be uneffected, no crashing or anything of the sort...

What about artifacts while playing? Aside from this problem, are you able to play games without artifacts?

Aside from something being broken, I wonder if it could have to do with SLI, maybe a bridging cable or something? I know nothing about SLI, it's just a guess.

No artifacting in games at all, and it has happened quite a few times, it won't go away unless i can minimize/maximize the game a couple times or turn the monitor off and back on.

The best way to explain it is with the video, it shows the screen which looks completely chopped up sections of what was shown on the screen, then i turn the monitor off and back on to fix it.

It started within the last week or so, i would say maybe something could be wrong with the DVI cable, but its fine most of the time and it only happens when launching a game, when the screen flashes to go into 3dmode or whatever it does lol.

Can you not see the video?

I was thinking, it seems like this started when i was benching and was pushing my ram too far. I know when i couldn't get it any further, it would completely lock up with a similar looking screen.

Can my ram cause this? I getting new ram next week anyway

Everyone as clueless as i am?

It hasn't happened in two days (knock on wood!)

I'd go with unstable overclocks, in particular any overclocking you've done with your video card.

Unstable overclocks can cause various problems. I had to tone down the overclocking on my card because of some wierd graphics problems in 3DMark, even though none of my games exhibited the same problem, or any problems at all. I just knocked down the shader clocks and everythings been fine since, although my overclock does seem abit anemic compared to some others I've seen.

Do you have another computer and monitor in the house that you, or someone, uses frequently? You could switch the monitors between the 2 and wait for it to happen again. Then you'd know what the issue is for sure.

I have a somewhat similar issue too. The screen acts up on the Vista log-on screen...but not the entire screen like yours. I didnt notice that on any other monitor. I would say your monitor is messed up.

I'd go with unstable overclocks, in particular any overclocking you've done with your video card.

Unstable overclocks can cause various problems. I had to tone down the overclocking on my card because of some wierd graphics problems in 3DMark, even though none of my games exhibited the same problem, or any problems at all. I just knocked down the shader clocks and everythings been fine since, although my overclock does seem abit anemic compared to some others I've seen.
All my overclocks are stable, all tested.
Do you have another computer and monitor in the house that you, or someone, uses frequently? You could switch the monitors between the 2 and wait for it to happen again. Then you'd know what the issue is for sure.

Well, i might try that next. It did happen yesterday, and it went two days without doing it.

I uninstalled "FFdShow" codec package, it seems to had been messing with some of my games instead of just playback videos, i think it may be the cause for this. I'm going to see if it still does it after uninstalling that. If it does it again, I'll try a different monitor.

All my overclocks are stable, all tested.

The point that Mpegger was making is that your clocks might NOT be stable. Testing can be done in many ways, 3DMark is one, and running a computer in 2D over long periods of time could be another. It may be stable in games, but not stable enough to never create a problem, like the one you are experiencing now.

All I see in that link is like before, it's a blinking photobucket page.

The link works for me, and everyone else i have showed it to?

I know its not overclock related, the video cards are not even stressed when this happens. Only when minimizing, or launching a game. Or another 3D app.

I'm hoping its either vista, or these 8.4 ATI drivers causing it before the monitor. I'll probably just wait on another ATI driver release before i go through the trouble of testing the monitor. Sometimes it will go a couple days without doing it. It happens very randomly.

Back