• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Video Store Will Arrive This Summer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Sony's long-rumored, rarely officially talked about video download service is coming to PlayStation 3s this summer, according to a report from the LA Times. Hints that Sony would be capitalizing on the Sony Pictures and Sony Home Entertainment library have been tossed about by the Financial Times and Wall Street Journal with Peter Dille—SVP of marketing for SCEA—dropping semi-official word on the unnamed service on the official PlayStation.blog last week. Details are still incredibly scarce on the movie and television download service that was shown to publishers earlier this year at Destination PlayStation, but Dille teases that Sony will "be offering a video service for PS3 in a way that separates the service from others you've seen or used." The LA Times sources anonymous film execs who say that video downloads could... yes, could be transmitting via PlayStation 3 connections this summer.
Clear some space on your calendars, folks!
http://kotaku.com/382329/la-times-sonys-ps3-video-store-will-arrive-this-summer

If the PS3 video store arrives this summer, then it will be two summers too-late.

Mind you... with all of Sony's impressive film library and media connections... they have a much better pool to draw from than Microsoft ever will. Put the Playstation Network still isn't where it needs to be to compete with Live Marketplace in terms of video, and they won't be able to beat Microsoft on the video front before this console generation is over. (There's still hope on the downloadable games front though.)

If the PS3 video store arrives this summer, then it will be two summers too-late.

Mind you... with all of Sony's impressive film library and media connections... they have a much better pool to draw from than Microsoft ever will. Put the Playstation Network still isn't where it needs to be to compete with Live Marketplace in terms of video, and they won't be able to beat Microsoft on the video front before this console generation is over. (There's still hope on the downloadable games front though.)

Seeing that MS offers the same on demand video as every major cable provider, I'd put money on the fact that Sony surpasses MS before the current product cycle is finished.

Seeing that MS offers the same on demand video as every major cable provider, I'd put money on the fact that Sony surpasses MS before the current product cycle is finished.

...based on what? Rainless is dead-on here - Sony really has the connections, in-house studios and support to blow Microsoft's offering out of the water. I really think that this is an area that they have dragged their feet on [more so than Home, slightly less than in-game XMB].

deception``

What? I'm confused... MS offers the same on demand as every cable provider? Since when? On cable there are a hell of a lot of movies I can watch for free (That's how I finally saw Easy Rider and Chinatown) on Xbox Live I can watch one episode of South Park for free.

I mean is MS *did* offer the same on-demand as cable companies... Sony would be in a world of trouble. Hell... SONY should offer the same on demand. Have all the old, classic movies for free, and let people pay for new releases. If they could do what they promised with the PS2 (which started this whole "console war" with microsoft in the first place) and turn the PS3 into a REAL entertainment center... with simultaneous releases in theaters and on the PS3... they would BURY not just Microsoft... but everybody else.

I don't think the film industry is ready for that though. I think it's inevitable... but the distributors and everybody else involved in the movie theater business in America would raise pure hell.

A lot of times I really WANT to see a movie (I can think of a dozen recent examples), but because there's no real theater near me right now, and I don't have a car (in Paris this wasn't an issue... there are movie theaters every three or four blocks) I just wouldn't make it out there. The last movie I saw in theaters was Sweeney Todd and that was a loooooooooong time ago.

But if they had the same movies in theaters available on the PS3... I wouldn't even care if they charged movie theater prices... it would be worth it for me to not have to go outside. Have a bunch of buddies over with booze and women and my giant TV and home theater system (then all those women I've been meeting from AFF...)

Sigh... but the American entertainment system has always lacked vision. They were slow to go digital, they've been slow to embrace MP3s, and they'll be slow to get with the program in terms of downloadable films.

I mean I like theaters and all... but there are very few movie PALACES left. Now there are just a bunch of corporate Cracker Jack boxes and suburban cubicle dives. In 2008 you'd really be better off watching new movies at home.

What? I'm confused... MS offers the same on demand as every cable provider? Since when? On cable there are a hell of a lot of movies I can watch for free (That's how I finally saw Easy Rider and Chinatown) on Xbox Live I can watch one episode of South Park for free.

I mean is MS *did* offer the same on-demand as cable companies... Sony would be in a world of trouble. Hell... SONY should offer the same on demand. Have all the old, classic movies for free, and let people pay for new releases. If they could do what they promised with the PS2 (which started this whole "console war" with microsoft in the first place) and turn the PS3 into a REAL entertainment center... with simultaneous releases in theaters and on the PS3... they would BURY not just Microsoft... but everybody else.

I don't think the film industry is ready for that though. I think it's inevitable... but the distributors and everybody else involved in the movie theater business in America would raise pure hell.

A lot of times I really WANT to see a movie (I can think of a dozen recent examples), but because there's no real theater near me right now, and I don't have a car (in Paris this wasn't an issue... there are movie theaters every three or four blocks) I just wouldn't make it out there. The last movie I saw in theaters was Sweeney Todd and that was a loooooooooong time ago.

But if they had the same movies in theaters available on the PS3... I wouldn't even care if they charged movie theater prices... it would be worth it for me to not have to go outside. Have a bunch of buddies over with booze and women and my giant TV and home theater system (then all those women I've been meeting from AFF...)

Sigh... but the American entertainment system has always lacked vision. They were slow to go digital, they've been slow to embrace MP3s, and they'll be slow to get with the program in terms of downloadable films.

I mean I like theaters and all... but there are very few movie PALACES left. Now there are just a bunch of corporate Cracker Jack boxes and suburban cubicle dives. In 2008 you'd really be better off watching new movies at home.

I said 'OnDemand' and if I didn't I meant to say it... If you browse through new movie releases on OnDemand, its the same offering as M$ in terms of movies just released for rental. I see Live offering no added value over a cable provider's OnDemand. Therefore, I was disagreeing on Sony not being able to catch up.

I said 'OnDemand' and if I didn't I meant to say it... If you browse through new movie releases on OnDemand, its the same offering as M$ in terms of movies just released for rental. I see Live offering no added value over a cable provider's OnDemand. Therefore, I was disagreeing on Sony not being able to catch up.

Okay... I just didn't understand what you were saying (you have been putting together some WEIRD sentences lately...)

Thing about cable On Demand is you pay a certain fee for cable (just like you pay a fee for Xbox Live) and there are all these on demand movies you can watch for free on cable... but NOTHING's free on Live. You pay and then you keep paying.

So if Sony could have... I don't know... streaming internet television shows, free movies, and premium movies that you pay for... then I suppose you're right.

But my point is that, right now, they don't have the infrastructure and I don't see them getting it right on the first try. Nobody ever gets ANYTHING right on the first try in this industry. Which is why I said, had the service been out when the system came out... that would be different.

Back