• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experts wanted! Help me build a great PC at a good price.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodigious

It's been quite some time since I've done any work to my computer, and she's finally showing her age. A few years ago she was top of the line but now it's time to move on. Unfortunately I don't have a huge budget like I did when I built my current PC, but luckily I only need the pc itself(along with an OS).

I already have a kickass sound system, mouse and k/b, and a 1080p display(keep that in mind when determining what cards will give good performance in games) among other accessories.

I need to keep the PC below $1,500, and if you could make a good system for under $1,000 I'd probably love you forever.

Obviously no system is future proof, but I would like to have a setup which isn't going to have obsolete architecture in a year and as such can't be upgraded.

My main concern with this computer is performance. I do everything on my PC, casual MMOs, hardcore gaming, graphic design, 3d rendering, listening to music, and above all else lots of multitasking.

Some things to keep in mind, I need Vista Premium 64bit, so that needs to be factored into the budget. I want to set aside at least $200 for a nice case and some minor mods to it(led fans, ccfl lights, etc). I do value aesthetics and low noise, but those are secondary issues. I don't want to get a lower performance part because it's pcb matches the case or it is really quiet, but if it has those qualities that would be a nice bonus. I tend to have windows in my case and like everything inside to be pretty. I would like to reserve a few hundred dollars in the budget for the new 300gb raptor coming out next month, but in the meantime I can use my current raptors in this new pc. I want a high quality soundcard and was thinking of the auzentech prelude x-fi card but I might just carry over my current x-fi platinum.

I may or may not be seriously overclocking this pc. If you guys can recommend things which will OC very well and as such give me better performance at a lower price point that's great, but I'm not going to be spending money on watercooling and such so it better work with stock cooling.

So that's that. I'd appreciate your help very much. I haven't been too well informed on PC hardware lately, so I'm counting on you guys.

E8400
P5K-D
4 gigs crucial ballistix ddr2 800
8800 GT
320 gig hard drive
HX620W
Big Typhoon or TRUE 120.
Should be about 1000 dollars.

If you want a nice case go for antec 900 or 3d aurora 570. I have the 570, and its just unbelievable. I love it.

Ok well Nehalem aside.

Disregard the E8400 mentioned by The fallen pimp if you need something to do 3d rendering and graphic design. And DDR2-800 is going to limit you in overclocking.

My advice instead is a Q6600 and at least DDR2-1000 speed ram.

Ah, I didnt see the rendering part. Go for a Q6700, the prices have dropped really low, and I think you would be able to stay in the 1000-1500 budget.

OldSkool, how will ddr2 800 limit his overclocking? Doesnt 800 and 1000 overclock just as high (im not sure, im just asking, I read that on a forum somewhere...)?

DDR-1000 will allow the CPU he uses to reach higher clocks without causing system instability when the FSB is cranked. As you know, the higher the FSB the faster the ram is pushed. DDR2-800 is nice but as is the case with my E8200, the Ram has reached its limit before the proc so I can't OC anymore. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

*Edit - I worded that funny, but I think you get the point.

Q6600 and 800Mhz ram. The Q6700 is not likely to gain you anything other than a lighter wallet. They are both going to top out at 3.6(which is 1:1 with 800Mhz ram) unless you get lucky.

Q6600 $225
Zerotherm or Tuniq $50
2x2GB G.Skill PC6400 CAS4 $100
P5K Pro $130
8800GTS $200 AR
Corsair 520HX $100

Your looking at $835. You can decide what to do with the HD's and sound card. That set-up is pretty good value for the money.

Sorry I should clarify something. I do rendering, but it isn't a serious venture. More of a side project when I'm bored and such. For the type of tasks I do, I don't think I'll need a quadcore. If I was anything more than an amateur when it came to multimedia stuff I'd be more interested in a quad core, but I really don't think it will benefit me since 95% of my computer use will be web browsing, playing video games, and some photoshop editing.

DDR-1000 will allow the CPU he uses to reach higher clocks without causing system instability when the FSB is cranked. As you know, the higher the FSB the faster the ram is pushed. DDR2-800 is nice but as is the case with my E8200, the Ram has reached its limit before the proc so I can't OC anymore. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

*Edit - I worded that funny, but I think you get the point.

You need the headroom with a low multiplier and a processor capable of high FSB speeds. The most he can hope for with a quad is 450. He can run what will most likely max speed at 400. Quality ram will be able to OC 50Mhz. His situation is completely different than yours, so the same parts don't apply.

Sorry I should clarify something. I do rendering, but it isn't a serious venture. More of a side project when I'm bored and such. For the type of tasks I do, I don't think I'll need a quadcore. If I was anything more than an amateur when it came to multimedia stuff I'd be more interested in a quad core, but I really don't think it will benefit me since 95% of my computer use will be web browsing, playing video games, and some photoshop editing.

Well that changes things. E8400 and PC1000 or PC1066 would be the ticket.

I still think it'd be a good idea as there isn't much of a price difference and he can consider it a little more future proof ;) But point taken, and thank you.

*Edit -
Well that changes things. E8400 and PC1000 or PC1066 would be the ticket.

Wait now I'm lost, E8400 for Rendering and stuff? I thought that was more for quads :shrug:

I still think it'd be a good idea as there isn't much of a price difference and he can consider it a little more future proof ;) But point taken, and thank you.

*Edit -

Wait now I'm lost, E8400 for Rendering and stuff? I thought that was more for quads :shrug:

You are correct in quads are best for rendering and encoding but his last post stated he was not interested in a quad as those are only pet projects and not main points of the build.

$215 E8400 / E3110
$150 P5K-D, or other
$95 2x2GB G.Skill PC8000
$220 8800 GTS 512MB* (3870X2 $400)
$130 WD6400AAKS, or any 1TB drive
$150 HX620W
$50 TRUE, ZeroTherm HS
$50 RocketFish Case
$30 Samsung SH-203B DVD burner

Thanks for the input. A few quick Qs.

Functionally what's the difference between the E8400 and the E3110. I did some minor research and they seem to be nearly identical(aside from the obvious branding difference). Is there any advantage to getting one ver the other aside from price/availability(overcloking ptoentional, power usage, stability, etc)?

Also I see lots of people recommending the HX620W. I assume this is the best bang for the buck?

And finally, what would be the next step up from an 880GTS, and how well will this card perform? I'm going to be running everything in 1080p, and I just want to make sure I will be able to run current games at near max settings(with reasonable AA and AF). Would it be worth spending an extra hundred or so for a slightly better card, or is this the sweet spot for price/performance?

I think it's safe to say that sooner than later we are going to see alot of DDR3 boards coming out and the move to that format will become more solid in the very near future. As far as your cost goes, DDR2 is fine for now and extremely inexpensive in comparison and still plenty powerful. IMO, I'd stick with DDR2.

Next up the line from a GTS would be a 9800GTX which really isn't worth the extra cash, IMHO. It is not much more than an overclocked GTS. From there you would be looking at a dual GPU solution, either single PCB ala 3870X2 or 9800GTX2 or SLI/Crossfire.

The 620HX is a great unit. You could easily use a 520HX but a 620 will give you a bit more room to grow.

DDR2 800mhz with 4-4-4 timings is basicaly the same as the more expensive DDR2 1066mhz with 5-5-5 timings, as once you loosen the DDR2 800mhz memory to 5-5-5 you can easily reach 1000mhz and beyond, for more overclocking potential then will be needed. DDR3 is a waste of money as there is no real world performance gain and the cost is anywhere from 3-10x as much.

E3110 and the E8400 are the same chip, E3110 generaly uses lower voltage however, which can turn out better for overclocking.

Back