Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.
Forum Jump

Recommend-- A good priced beginners Blackberry.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter   #1
Angry

10 Year Badge

Recommend-- A good priced beginners Blackberry.

Hey guys whats up? Its been awhile since Ive been around.
But since all the techno savy dudes hang here I thought this might be the best place to ask.

My girlfriend needs a new phone, she has a cheap Nokia from Cellularone/Dodson. While the service is great in her area, the phone itself kinda sucks. CellularOne uses the SIM cards so any new phone she gets would need to use one. Im even not sure if Blackberrys even take SIM cards. But she either wants a really good Razr or a Blackberry. I recently had to activate a Palm Treo 600 of mine that I got in a deal after losing my favorite samsung. Ive started to really enjoy it and well the girlfriend is envyous lol. I plan to upgrade later even, but I want to get her something good as we do a TON of txt and pictures to each other.

So, can anyone recommend me a good blackberry to pick up? I dont have ALOT to spend, but Im definily willing to pick up something good for her. Shes also a nurse at a doctors office that deals with appointment schedules. And it would be nice if it took to the internet well.

:edit:
Also, do any Blackberrys have expandable memory, say like SD cards?

Thanks! Later...

Main Rig.....................Game Server............................................ Media Server..............Untangle................Nvidia Shield
Core i3 2100 ....... ........Phenom II X4 965 w/CM Hyper 612.............Athlon II X4 620....... Athlon X2 2350-BE....... Android 4.4.2
MSI P67A-GD65 ..............GA-890GPA-UD3H.....................................Biostar A780L3G...........MSI 785GTM-45..........16gb mSDHC
16gb Partriot S5................G.Skill 2x2gb 1333.....................................4gb DDR3 1333...........4gb OCZ DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX 670 ....................XFX 8800gt+Asus 8400gs
60gb OCZ Summit.................4x250gb WD RE Raid0
ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED

Last edited by Angry; 04-23-08 at 02:41 PM.
Angry is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-08, 03:52 PM   #2
jivetrky

My g/f has a Pearl and I have a Curve and yes, they both take SIM cards, and they both take MicroSD (even high capacity)

I would recommend the Curve mainly because it has a full keyboard, also a larger screen which makes watching videos very nice.

We actually got her Pearl from walmart. They had a deal where if you sign up for a 2 year deal AND the blackberry data plan, you got the phone for $18.88. Without committing to the data plan it was like $48 or so. But since we wanted the data plan anyway, it was a good deal.
I got my Curve on At&T's website, it was a refurb for $29.99 (It looked brand new, even had the film on it. Refurbs are usually just a technicality because they can't sell it as new even though they have made sure it works and looks as new). Or they had a deal for a new one for like $50.

This is for AT&T, so I don't know if you can get the on CellularOne or not. But the BB's are real nice just because of all the software available for them.

Just looked at AT&T's webiste, the Curve refurbs are free...the new ones are $149 I believe.

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?\(_o)/
jivetrky is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.