• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a new computer need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

POL-tec2002

Hey guys, im building a new computer and I havent been in the hardware scene for a while now [been doing a lot of certs]. I have some hardware I would like to use but I'm not sure on a couple of things.

Motherboard:
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $329.99

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail $224.99

Memory [8gb total][I'll be getting 4 2gb sticks.]
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK - Retail $104.99 x2

I have 2 64gb SATA raptors that I'm running in my current system that I would like to re-use. I just dont know what type of case to purchase, and I also need some advice about the power supply. I graphics card that I am looking at is a 8800GTX but I am unsure of the brand I should be looking for.

One more thing, can I run my raptors in raid0 and then get a separate drive for all my data. I dont know if this motherboard will let me do that.

The case is all personal preference. The last two I've used are Antec 900 and Cooler Master 690 both work great. Power supplies I would go modular the Corsair 620 is great and gets recommended a lot. Your drives will work fine and yes you will be about to run raid 0 and then just have a storage drive no problem. The only problem I see is you need DDR3 not the DDR2 you have picked out.

I'd go with a P35 based motherboard and DDR2...put the cash saved somewhere else...cooling perhaps?

Okay so I guess this motherboard would be a good choice? I have always been an abit guy but I hear these are good.

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Also, for gaming is it worth going with 2 graphics cards? Or will one be good for the current games that are out. Again, I havent been in the loop for WAAAYYY tooo long.

Back