• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What hard drive?? smasung or maxor? ( LINKS INSIDE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i have got it down to two 500gb hard drives

WHAT ONE IS BETTER?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141471/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130454/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended

so its the diamondmax22 or the SpinPoint HD501LJ

pro's / conns?

what will last longer
what is quiter

i need a new hard drive as my old samsung ' burnt ' after a live stripped 12v wire touchd the circuit board at the bottom of the haard drive :( i have learnt my lesson.....and i was also wondering if this would be covered by waranty?

IMHO both are terrible choices. Neither Maxtor or samsung has very high reputations for hard drives in my experience. Although, Samsung makes NICE LCD monitors :).
I would go with a seagate 7200 series instead.

and i was also wondering if this would be covered by waranty?
Since he answered your first question, I will answer this one. NO, it is not covered by the warranty. It is not a defect if something else destroyed the hard drive. ;)

I have the 501LJ or actually already 3 of it, quiet and performs well, the only more quite drives are the WDs 5400-7200 drives but those are also slower check Anandtech for their opinion about the 501LJ but they were also quite pleased with the drive.
I would consider the new 320GB/platter drives, samsung also has some of these and 640GB won't cost much more but performs better I think it's the F1 series from samsung.

I would go with the Samsung.

Maxtor drives have a rather bad reputation (they 're made by Seagate these days, but Seagate ain't so hot right now too).

The first batches of Spinpoints had some firmware issues but all is well now. They 're blazingly fast, too. I'll get the 1TB model soon methinks.

Newegg reviews me thinks ;).

I've never had a problem with Samsung drives. They're increasingly getting better in my book. I've never had a customer come to me with one to recover the data off of. The only other company I can say that for is IBM.

Back