• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 or 360?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

ok i hate to do this to you guys, but im considering purchasing a console and I would like some of your input. I already have a wii too
Heres what I want to do with it:

Play gta4
watch movies occasionally
have it last a while
good amount of DECENT games

Im askin you guys first cuz I can usually get some good input here!

Go for ps3. Its easy to hack (if you are willing to hack it). It has free online, and it doesnt go red rings of death on you. Ps3 is good because it reads the blu-ray movies too. ps3 will last longest.

Depends on what types of games you play other than GTA 4. If most games you like are on PS3, go for it, or go for Xbox 360. Both are amazing. Both have decent games, all depends on your taste. But since movies is a top priority too, go with PS3. You cant go wrong with a Blu-Ray player.

Btw, if you get the ps3, fold for team 32 on it! :D If you buy a ps3, make sure to get the model with the smallest size hard drive/cheapest one, and switch out the hard drive to something better like 120 gigs, or 320 gigs for 70 dollars. :)

My opinion, the PS3 has some decent games, and more on the way but the 360 already has a vast library of excellent games. The online play on the 360 is better then the PS3, but the PS3's online play is free.

The PS3 is a good movie player, and it will play Blu-Ray movies, but neither the 360 nor PS3 will probably play DVDs as well as a quality stand-alone player would.

The 40 GB model of the PS3 cannot play any PS2 software titles, whereas the 20 GB, 60 GB, and 80 GB models can. All models of the PS3 can play the vast majority of PS1 titles. AFAIK all models of the 360 can play original Xbox titles, but they are not compatible with 100% of original Xbox titles.

I think both consoles have comparable graphics capabilities, the PS3 certainly has a more solid record of quality then the 360 does. Although they're probably a thing of the past with newer units, the long-standing RROD issues have left a stain on the 360's reputation that will never be erased. The PS3 has not experienced any such failures in its life so far.

I personally think the 360 has a better controller, but I have not yet used the new PS3 dualshock 3 controller, so perhaps my opinion of the controllers will change once I do.

Also, the PS3 can run folding@home whereas the 360 cannot. Rumors have it that seti@home will be making its way to the PS3 in the future as well.

The PS3 is a good movie player, and it will play Blu-Ray movies, but neither the 360 nor PS3 will probably play DVDs as well as a quality stand-alone player would.

That's true for the 360. In fact, the 360 is a crappy DVD player. Any cheap Apex is better DVD player than the 360. For blu-ray, it may be true for the PS3; however, I'm not too sure I can agree that the PS3 is not as good as other stand-alone dvd player.

wow that was quick.
lots of great info..I didnt know that ps3 could play blueray and 360 couldnt. Im not much of an online gamer with consoles, so I guess i would go with ps3 for online..you cant beat free!

Thats kinda wierd that the 40gig isnt compatible with ps2 software! If i did buy a ps3 i guess i would go for the cheapest one and upgrade the hd-good suggestion btw. I was unaware that you could do that. can u put any serial/ata drive you want?

I do recall that the 360 had some major issues at the start, but how are they now?

Play gta4
watch movies occasionally
have it last a while
good amount of DECENT games

Play gta4 (Available on both consoles)
watch movies occasionally (PS3)
have it last a while (PS3)
good amount of DECENT games (depends on how you define decent. Xbox has better library of games.)

I think you are better off with the PS3.

That's true for the 360. In fact, the 360 is a crappy DVD player. Any cheap Apex is better DVD player than the 360. For blu-ray, it may be true for the PS3; however, I'm not too sure I can agree that the PS3 is not as good as other stand-alone dvd player.

I had heard a while back that the PS3 was the best Blu-Ray player on the market but there are some people (Fudgenuggets) who think the PS3 is lousy compared to a high-end DVD player. I have a 56" DLP with my PS3 connected through HDMI and DVDs look damned nice on my PS3, but I don't have a several hundred dollar stand-alone player to compare the quality to..so I'm not really sure either. :) All I use my PS3 for is watching movies and folding, it's good at both. :D

wow that was quick.
lots of great info..I didnt know that ps3 could play blueray and 360 couldnt. Im not much of an online gamer with consoles, so I guess i would go with ps3 for online..you cant beat free!

Thats kinda wierd that the 40gig isnt compatible with ps2 software! If i did buy a ps3 i guess i would go for the cheapest one and upgrade the hd-good suggestion btw. I was unaware that you could do that. can u put any serial/ata drive you want?

I do recall that the 360 had some major issues at the start, but how are they now?

Reason the 40G can't play ANY ps2 games is because they run on a different SKU. Pretty much means they have a different CPU (not the correct term). It is smaller, consume less power, and cheaper to produce. Harddrive wise, i think it uses the 2.5 inch sata drive.

By the way, FYI, the ps3 comes standard WIFI buildin. The 360 is a $100 dollar option.

wow that was quick.

The recent 360's with an HDMI port should all fair well in longevity. If you want a good HD media player that is 'future proof,' so long as sony supports firmware updates, go with the PS3. If my friends all hadn't jumped on board the 360, I would've probably got a PS3. Library and game-content wise, both are similar enough to start massive feuds in this sub forum. I love my 360, but I'm thinking of getting a PS3 just for the bluray player.

sweet.. lots of good info.

I hate buying a new piece of technology and then discovering little pieces of bs info i didnt know about, (like the wifi in the ps3).

what about noise? Are they both as loud as my ps2 (early version). And any talk of a ps3 slim lol?

I had heard a while back that the PS3 was the best Blu-Ray player on the market but there are some people (Fudgenuggets) who think the PS3 is lousy compared to a high-end DVD player. I have a 56" DLP with my PS3 connected through HDMI and DVDs look damned nice on my PS3, but I don't have a several hundred dollar stand-alone player to compare the quality to..so I'm not really sure either. :) All I use my PS3 for is watching movies and folding, it's good at both. :D

Once again, it's how do you defind "BEST". The PS3 is the most versatile blu-ray player. It's firmware has constant upgrades and updates (via internet) to do new things. The last update actually allows the PS3 to deconde True HD sound. This means that you dont need to have a receiver that has the capability to decode Ture HD sound, as long as it has HDMI connection.

I read an article (I will try to find later tonight. At work now, company firewall blocked out a lot of sites.) saying that a (or some) stand alone Sony blu-ray player actually provides smoother picture quality than that of the PS3. I'm not sure what Sony is doing, or what they are going to do later. It could be they are trying to drive the sales of their stand-alone blu-ray player. I'm not sure that this "better smoothness" can be or will be provided (or fix) on the PS3 via updates.

As far as DVD quality wise, the PS3 actually out performs some of my older stand-alone DVD players. Not only that, I used to have a high-dv Sony dvd player, and the picture quality is comparable with the PS3. That's why I dont agree that the DVD quality of the PS3 is inferior to any stand-alone DVD players out there.

sweet.. lots of good info.

I hate buying a new piece of technology and then discovering little pieces of bs info i didnt know about, (like the wifi in the ps3).

what about noise? Are they both as loud as my ps2 (early version). And any talk of a ps3 slim lol?

The quietest PS3 is the 40Gb. I have a sound system running, so I actually dont get bother or even hear the fan at all. However, if your room ambient is hot, those fans can get really loud, especially for the 60Gb and 80Gb. Get the 40Gb if fan noise is going to be a problem.

Rumors said that there "MAY" be a PS3 slim possibly end of this year. That's pretty much all I know as of right now.

If you decide on a PS3 at least read up on this error people have been getting. See if its as bad as most people think it is.

Once again, it's how do you defind "BEST". The PS3 is the most versatile blu-ray player. It's firmware has constant upgrades and updates (via internet) to do new things. The last update actually allows the PS3 to deconde True HD sound. This means that you dont need to have a receiver that has the capability to decode Ture HD sound, as long as it has HDMI connection.

I read an article (I will try to find later tonight. At work now, company firewall blocked out a lot of sites.) saying that a (or some) stand alone Sony blu-ray player actually provides smoother picture quality than that of the PS3. I'm not sure what Sony is doing, or what they are going to do later. It could be they are trying to drive the sales of their stand-alone blu-ray player. I'm not sure that this "better smoothness" can be or will be provided (or fix) on the PS3 via updates.

As far as DVD quality wise, the PS3 actually out performs some of my older stand-alone DVD players. Not only that, I used to have a high-dv Sony dvd player, and the picture quality is comparable with the PS3. That's why I dont agree that the DVD quality of the PS3 is inferior to any stand-alone DVD players out there.

Interesting. I need to look into this as it might persuade me to purchase a stand alone player.

What error?

Btw, Xbox 360 is loud as hell. Just google 'noisy xbox 360 fan'. People actually turn up the volume on the TV so they dont have to listen to it.

Interesting. I need to look into this as it might persuade me to purchase a stand alone player.

Except for the fact that a quality stand-alone Sony blu-ray player cost about$500 too. Prices for these players actually went up since Toshiba threw in the white towel.

Back