• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my drive getting bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twodaend

Registered
I recently heard a clicking noise on one of my drives so I decided to install HD Tune. However before I did that, I uplugged my other drive and only left my primary drive. I haven't heard the clicking since, so it must have been my other drive (I'll plugged it back in tonight).

I did run HD Tune on my primary drive and found that Reallocated Sectors was yellow. Is this something I should be concerned about.

How old is the harddrive?

And also, you might consider looking at SpinRite. SpinRite fixes your harddrive so "it feels" better. Although I personally don't know how well it works but people on the net says it's a good program and from what I have seen it seems to be a very good program.

Have you ever heard about SpinRite? (Security Now has a podcast where they often talks about this program also.)

I recently heard a clicking noise on one of my drives so I decided to install HD Tune. However before I did that, I uplugged my other drive and only left my primary drive. I haven't heard the clicking since, so it must have been my other drive (I'll plugged it back in tonight).

I did run HD Tune on my primary drive and found that Reallocated Sectors was yellow. Is this something I should be concerned about.

A couple of years agoI had a similar problem, but mine ended badly.
I had a primary 500GB and an external, then I started hearing ticking noises which eventually got louder as the days went on.I checked everything (heat,connections and ran stability tests on it) every thing came back normal.
Then bang:bang head it died, just like that (it was just out of warranty).
So my advise, back up just in case and if its still in warranty RMA it.

How old is the harddrive?

And also, you might consider looking at SpinRite. SpinRite fixes your harddrive so "it feels" better. Although I personally don't know how well it works but people on the net says it's a good program and from what I have seen it seems to be a very good program.

Have you ever heard about SpinRite? (Security Now has a podcast where they often talks about this program also.)

:welcome:
Do you know if SpinRite will work on Vista 64?

I don't know. The site says nothing about if it works with Vista or not. If Vista has a compatibility mode for Win XP it should work, though.

Here's the F.A.Q.

are you using it on XP?

No.

I'm not using it at all, actually. And the reason is because I want to backup my harddrives before I dare to use this program. Some people have been reported problems with SpinRite, although most people seems to experience it as a very good program and if you watch the video which they have on the homepage you can see more clearly what it does.

The homepage clearly states that it should work with XP.

No.

I'm not using it at all, actually. And the reason is because I want to backup my harddrives before I dare to use this program. Some people have been reported problems with SpinRite, although most people seems to experience it as a very good program and if you watch the video which they have on the homepage you can see more clearly what it does.

Khel,

Spinrite v6 works with XP 32 bit. I've been using it for years. I have found that if there are problems with Spinrite, the drive was bad and not the program.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555754

Last edited:
No.

yeah right. thanks for the info.
In general though I dont like to mess arround with hardrive utes or tools.
I'd rather leave them alone, keep them cool and above all quiet:beer:

yeah right. thanks for the info.
In general though I dont like to mess arround with hardrive utes or tools.
I'd rather leave them alone, keep them cool and above all quiet:beer:

Maaska,

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if there is a problem and your drive is failing, it's gonna fail sooner or later and using diags like Sprinrite won't cause any more problems than you already have. You can run a Level 2 diags that won't do any more that tell you of bad sectors, that's all. This is your warning that all is not well. Backup and use a deeper level of Spinrite, there's nothing to lose by then.

Maaska,

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if there is a problem and your drive is failing, it's gonna fail sooner or later and using diags like Sprinrite won't cause any more problems than you already have. You can run a Level 2 diags that won't do any more that tell you of bad sectors, that's all. This is your warning that all is not well. Backup and use a deeper level of Spinrite, there's nothing to lose by then.

your right, knowing in advance if there are issues with a drive can only be good.
But do you think Sprinrite will work on vista64?

your right, knowing in advance if there are issues with a drive can only be good.
But do you think Sprinrite will work on vista64?

Maaska,

I don't know about 64 bit, there is nothing on their site about it. I think V6.1 will cover that but I don't see it offered yet. You may want to check their forums and ask. I would assume if it covered 64 bit, it would have been stated by now.

Back