• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - CPU not x64 bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shakka

When trying to install Windows Xp Professional 64 bit on Virtual PC 2007, it says "Attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit x86 operating system."

Any solutions to fix this?

The CPU that Virtual PC 2007 emulates is a 32-bit CPU so there isn't a workaround for this AFAIK. I tried to install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu several months back when I was taking a Linux class, and got the same thing.

You might try VirtualBox. I can't remember if I got it working with VBox or not, though.

ah that sucks. I thought maybe because there was a 64 bit virtual pc 2007 that it would run 64 bit OS's and that it was something specific with my rig. I guess ill look around for some virtual emulators.

Yeah tried VP2007 found was a POS so try VMWware Server works really great with 32 bit or 64bit OS's

vmware server will only support 64 bit clients if the host processor and motherboard are capable. They have to have the instruction set for virtualization. For intel this is mostly core2duo and newer. The same is true for Server 2008 Hyper-V.

Back