• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD formatting for a digital TV recorder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alfred

Does anyone know how I can format my new hard drive in a Non-DOS format that is compatible for my digital hard drive TV recorder?

It's a 500GB IDE drive, I'm on Windows XP and I've been playing around with fdisk partitions and formats but it doesn't like NTFS or FAT32.

Any ideas would be most appreciated?

Try a linux live disk of some kind... you will get a huge range of formats to choose from.

Im not sure which one will work though soz.

No problems, it's a:

Digihome Digital Video Recorder Twin Terrestrial Tuner
Model No. PVR80
Main Processor: STM5100
Flash Memory: 4MB
DDRRAM: 32MB

It came with a 80GB IDE drive installed and I'm trying to up it to a 500GB. When I let it format the drive itself it just comes up as about 164GB. I thought I'd try and bypass that by formatting it myself and see if I can force it to recognise it as the full 500GB.

I'm guessing that it's just not able to cope with a drive any bigger than 164GB. What do you recon?

Yeah, It probably doesn't support a LBA of 500GB you could try partitioning the drives to a raw format and it might think they are seperate hard discs.

Shall I try breaking it down into 3 drives of no more than 160GB?

When you say RAW format?...

Back