• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me get this system stable! (xpm2500, nf7sv2...)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

My specs: XPM 2500 @ 200x12 @ 1.725v, NF7Sv2 (Merlin's d25 cpc on) @ 1.6v, 2x 512mb pc3000 Kingston Hyper X + 1x 512mb pc3200 Kingston Value Ram (dual channel mode) @ 6/6, 2.6v, 2.5-3-3-7. Cpu cooler is an slk-948u with 92mm Panaflo, northbridge is cooled with Microcool Northpole, southbridge and mosfets are cooled passively, gpu is a 64mb Radeon 9500 @ 1.5v.

With this setup, i pass memtest (4h) and prime95 (6h) fine, but i still experience some pretty bad instability; file corruption errors (downloaded images have grey bars at bottom or are partly corrupt), system settings mysteriously changing on their own, programs crashing, system crashing (screen goes black, pc resets on it's own), my very first bsod since installing xp and general slow, choppy, 'halting' performance.

does anyone have any suggestions? any help is appreciated!

PS: don't know if this may help but i was able to get the system memtest stable at 200x12.5, 1.75v. however, temps were too high (50 degrees celsius) and after lowering the voltage and not lowering the speed, my bios couldn't save the new settings. that's when i reverted to the current settings. i'm not sure what all this means...

...damn. have not checked the psu, which is a 300 watt antec smartpower sl300s (actually, i'm not even sure how to properly do that). i am hoping that by 'swap it' you do not mean i have to trash this psu :( is there something that can be done if this problem is found?

Last edited:
Smartpower eh, notorious for bad caps :)

If it's still under warranty RMA it for having bad capacitors and they will replace it with a fixed one :)

<slaps forehead>

oh wow. i actually remember being led to believe that antec psus are quite reliable. thanks for that, i guess.

anyone know how to check if a psu is still under warranty if it came with a case (slk2600amb for this one)? the psu badge, which has no serial, has a 2004 date (i believe i bought it late 2005) and it's doubtful i can find the receipt so i'm not very hopeful either way.

EDIT: found the barcode, i'm an idiot. since i bought this case late august of 2005, it OUGHT to still be under warranty for a few months. i'm sending the thing back if it's allowed; after visiting badcaps.net, i don't want to take any chances. i guess i'll let you all know.

on the by and by, anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable, silent and CHEAP psu (looking to spend no more than 30 bucks hopefully; definitely no more than 40) rated for around 300-350w?

PS: is there a way to use this psu safely or is that pretty much a lost cause?

EDIT: submitted a request for replacement. i hope i can get a good one!

Last edited:
I think antec PSUs have a 5 year warranty, I'd ring them up and poke your luck about :)

They are quite helpful about this matter.

james, or anyone, is it worth using the replaced psu (particularly in this overclocked rig) or should i try selling that one online for whatever i can to buy a safer psu?

Selling a faulty PSU?

I hope not, you'd really sell an unsafe PSU to someone?

I'd just get any new PSU the nf7 v2 uses the 12v rail so something like VX450 will work.

actually i was talking about the new or 'fixed' psu i'm hoping to recieve from antec. i'm really hoping i don't have to spend another $80 for a psu, which is the cost of the vx450 at newegg (-and nearly the cost of the rest of my components combined (at today's prices), yikes!). is there nothing good (reliable and silent) at under $40?

EDIT: ok, my estimation of the price of my components was a bit exaggerated, but seriously, is there nothing good in the price range i've set?

Last edited:
I'm glad you figured out you need a new PS.

Be safe #1 on list.

12x200@ 1.75? a bit low, but if you can get it stable there :thup:

No more than 1.9v I'd say, depending on cooling.
I've seen voltage go higher, but it can REALLY shorten the life of the cpu.

actually i was talking about the new or 'fixed' psu i'm hoping to recieve from antec. i'm really hoping i don't have to spend another $80 for a psu, which is the cost of the vx450 at newegg (-and nearly the cost of the rest of my components combined (at today's prices), yikes!). is there nothing good (reliable and silent) at under $40?

EDIT: ok, my estimation of the price of my components was a bit exaggerated, but seriously, is there nothing good in the price range i've set?

This tagan would work pretty well for that rig
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA21500

UPDATE:

finally got my hands on a multimeter to test the psu. unfortunately, it's analog and it seems like it's worthless for testing the 12v rail.

despite showing massive and frequent fluctuations in bios and mbm5, an analog multimeter shows that the 3.3v and 5 volt rails are stable as hell, as is the 12v rail. however, the 3.3v rail is undervolted at 2.9-3 volts and -tentatively- the 12v rail registers an undervolt at around 10.5 or 11v (hard to tell with analog multimeter)

the reason why i say tentatively is that the settings on this multimeter jump from 10v dc directly to 50v dc and unfortunately the 50v dc setting doesn't seem that accurate; i know that at the 10v dc setting, my 5 volt rail measures exactly at 5 volts, yet it displays as exactly 3v on the 50v dc setting -likewise, the 3.3v rail displays as 1v. in other words, that 11v measurement i wrote earlier seems pretty much worthless.

on top of everything, about 2 hours ago, one molex from this psu that i've been using since day 1 has died (checked with multimeter, no response). i think i'm going to file for an rma unless someone tells me otherwise.

regarding stability with regards to the overclock, i have gotten prime95 stable for 24+ hours at 12x200 @ 1.725v and 12.5x200 @ 1.825v.

at default settings, this system exhibits the same annoying glitches as when it's overclocked (but slower): inexplicable halting behavior that eats precious time where the cpu and ram don't appear as if they're being used (system idle process @ 98%, ram usage well below max physical ram)

recently, the system has been crashing with increasing frequency. this is pretty new behavior. i could be doing anything and the system will crash. odd.

apparent psu stability in mbm5 and bios:

in bios:
cpucore (1.725) fluctuates between 1.72v-1.74v
vcc voltage (+2.5v) @ 2.62v-2.64v (quickly shifts in between, sporadically)
i/o voltage (+3.3v) @ 3.07-3.15v (fluctuates wildly)
+5v @ 4.99v (rock solid)
+12v @ -12.77--12.85v (quickly shifts in between, sporadically)
-5v @ -5.14--5.20v (quickly shifts in between, sporadically)
3.3v dual voltage @ 3.53-3.55v (quickly shifts in between, sporadically)
standby voltage (5v) @ 4.96-5.01v (fluctuates wildly)

on mbm5:
core0 (cpu, 1.725v) @ 1.70-1.71v (fairly stable, switches sporadically in between)
core1 (mobo, 2.6v) @ 2.62v
+3.3v @ 2.94-3.14v (can fluctuate wildly, seems stable now as i'm typing this but i just removed a hdd)
+5v @ 5.00v (fairly stable)
+12v @ 11.73-11.86v (fairly stable)
-12v @ 12.68-12.77v (changes every few seconds to these as well as values in between)
-5v @ -5.14--5.19 (changes in between these two every few seconds)

this is not a fresh install, though xp was ridiculously slow (compared to 98) right out of the box when i first installed it a couple years back. i turned the graphics down and it's still slow. i can't explain it. damn thing perked up SLIGHTLY after i uninstalled the antivirus program (nod32, with a ridiculously small footprint) but it's still ridiculously slow compared to windows 98.

some more curiosities:
i cannot run this ram at anything other than cl2.5; even with a severe underclock and extra volts -if i can even manage to save the new, 'looser' timings- i get memtest errors out the *** at about 60% completion. weird. i pulled out the pc3200 valueram (cl2.5 by the way) and am now testing solely with the pc3000 hyperx @ pc3200 with 2.7v, 2.5-3-3-11

just for clarity, how do the specs for my borken psu look (rock solid stable on mm, some variance in bios and mbm5)? also, can someone explain the significance of having one dead power cable (i don't even understand how that happens... as far as i can tell, it's only the one molex that is dead.)? the dead molex coincides with a now almost dead hdd (spins up, spins down, can't get past the ide detection screen in bios) which exhibited zero problems before reaching the current state of inoperability.

to quote o'reilly, ****IN THING SUCKS.

EDIT:
ripped out the value ram and now i can pass 24h of both smallfft and blend. everything is still slow as **** but at least the system appears stable. still have no answer about how one power cable can be dead; in fact, this topic is the first entry on google when i search for "psu 'dead power cable'" :p

Last edited:
UPDATE:

finally got my hands on a multimeter to test the psu. unfortunately, it's analog and it seems like it's worthless for testing the 12v rail.

despite showing massive and frequent fluctuations in bios and mbm5, an analog multimeter shows that the 3.3v and 5 volt rails are stable as hell, as is the 12v rail. however, the 3.3v rail is undervolted at 2.9-3 volts and -tentatively- the 12v rail registers an undervolt at around 10.5 or 11v (hard to tell with analog multimeter)

the reason why i say tentatively is that the settings on this multimeter jump from 10v dc directly to 50v dc and unfortunately the 50v dc setting doesn't seem that accurate; i know that at the 10v dc setting, my 5 volt rail measures exactly at 5 volts, yet it displays as exactly 3v on the 50v dc setting -likewise, the 3.3v rail displays as 1v. in other words, that 11v measurement i wrote earlier seems pretty much worthless.

on top of everything, about 2 hours ago, one molex from this psu that i've been using since day 1 has died (checked with multimeter, no response). i think i'm going to file for an rma unless someone tells me otherwise.

That analogue multimeter isn't sensitive enough; it looks like it isn't properly showing the 12V rail on the higher setting, and might not be accurately representing the 5V and 3.3V rails either.

I don't know how far you can trust either of your voltage monitering tools. Analogue multimeters are somewhat subjective compared to a digital meter, and innaccurate on a large voltage spread. Further, the NF7-S has poor voltage monitering, if I recall correctly.

That said. Those software readouts are a strong indication of a broken PSU. Of even greater concern is the extreme 3.3V rail droop which your multimeter reports... such a signifigant droop on the 3.3V rail can really mess up a system.

Even though the readouts are suspect, I think it is safe to infer that the PSU is malfunctional.

The dead molex is further evidence of a bonked PSU!

some more curiosities:
i cannot run this ram at anything other than cl2.5; even with a severe underclock and extra volts -if i can even manage to save the new, 'looser' timings- i get memtest errors out the *** at about 60% completion. weird. i pulled out the pc3200 valueram (cl2.5 by the way) and am now testing solely with the pc3000 hyperx @ pc3200 with 2.7v, 2.5-3-3-11

Your CAS limitation is on account of mixed RAM; different memory ICs don't generally play well together, especially on the old nForce2 boards, where the board chipset is playing at middleman. Mixing RAM is a love-killer for AXP memory overclocking.

DDR1 is cheap to buy used. If you want to have some fun, you could invest ~$40 in a half gig set of BH-5, and see substantial gains running 2-2-2 with a high FSB on your nForce2 system.

I bet you your HyperX can run 2-3-3-X with some voltage.... :)

just for clarity, how do the specs for my borken psu look (rock solid stable on mm, some variance in bios and mbm5)? also, can someone explain the significance of having one dead power cable (i don't even understand how that happens... as far as i can tell, it's only the one molex that is dead.)? the dead molex coincides with a now almost dead hdd (spins up, spins down, can't get past the ide detection screen in bios) which exhibited zero problems before reaching the current state of inoperability.

Your dead molex is indicative of a dying PSU. Something has blown inside of the unit, which has cut the "juice" ("scare quotes" used because it could be anything that has popped. A capacitor, some circuitry, or similar...) to that set of plugs. To clarify, is it a single plug in a string of plugs which no longer works, or is it an entire string of plugs? If it is only one plug in a string, it's likely a loose pin or cable, rather than some issue internal to the PSU.

Regardless, I'd stop using that PSU as soon as possible, it isn't safe.

The steady deterioration of the PSU's functionality is a clear indication of its being unreliable. It will only get worse, and you really don't want it to take out any of your other hardware with it.

As for the Multimeter reading steady, while your software shows fluctuation and droop... analogue multimeters aren't ideal for reading fluctuation, and it is entirely possible that it is giving you a rough readout, too general for observeable fluctuation.

As I mentioned, I don't recall entirely, but I am fairly sure that the NF7-S did have issues with software voltage readouts.

For posterity, I'd reccomend buying a digital multimeter; they're $10 and wonderful toys ;)

Last edited:
oh geeze another "OMGWTFBBQ YOUR PSU IS THE SUCK DONT USE IT" thread.

how long have you been using this board?
if you got it used to know the history?

i've been through my share of NF7's and the ones i had either were DOA from RMA or the caps insta bulged out of no where and sizzled. bought a new motherboard, a DFI, same hardware other wise, no probs.

i doubt yours is that severe, i notice you said you were using a 2500+ XP M, if you just put the board together i would check out and see if there are any bios updates newer than what you might have. alot of boards needed an update when mobile processors were used. that is if this was just put to gether, if not then i donno.

Back