• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Murphy's Law

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowman2oo7

Registered
Good ol' Murphy has decided to pay me a visit. I was happily installing my dual boot on my main rig when he decided to show his ugly face. I had just finished installing Kubuntu and was just starting to fold my first WU on the fresh install when it happened Hard Lock. I thought OK what did I do. The answer was nothing. So I hit the reset switch everything looked normal at first, until I selected the OS.

Kubuntu begins to boot then when the login screen should appear monitor goes into standby. OK reset again and boot into Windows. Again everything looks fine BIOS screen shows, Grub displays menu, select Windows, Windows splash screen shows, then screen goes into standby. Crap I think what now.

I decide to start over from scratch. I pop in the Kubuntu Live CD, boot procedes normally until KDE is supposed to load, then same thing. Alright lets try Windows. Pop in Windows XP CD, boots normally get to install screens. Cool I think seems to be working now. Procede with install everything goes fine. System reboots after install. Yeah I think as the Windows Desktop appears. So first things first install .Net 2.0 then install Catalyst 8.3. Install goes fine reboot and ,Son of a, monitor goes into standby again.

Now I'm getting really POed. Grab lappy and do a Google search for problem. Hmm corrupted drivers ok. Reboot with Windows disk repeat install same result boots to desktop. Ok install .Net again grab Catalyst 8.4 install reboot. NO FREAKING SCREEN AGAIN. Tried everything, reseat card, try other port, turn monitor off and on, switch port while booted, nothing. System boots into Safe Mode just fine, but not with regular driver. I'm pulling out what little hair I have left.

I do not know what else to do. I do not have another card to replace this one with. So until I can get it fixed looks like my main rig is out of the running. I at least have my lappy to get me through.

So if I understood that right, your vid card is toast?

Cheap PCI vid card?

Murphy was up late last night.

He killed my Balisitix last night too.

That is a bummer... yes, I'd have to guess that the X1900XT gave up the ghost. I have one and am running Cats 8.3 just fine... so it's definitely not a driver compatibility issue.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion vid card died. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new card in a couple of weeks when I get my money from the IRS. Been eyeballing an 8800 GT from Tiger Direct.

Back