• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Customizing my new Thermaltake Armor+ case (lots of pics!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

I decided to start up a new thread to discuss my progress so far setting up the new Thermaltake Armor+ case. So far I have found the case to be awesome! There's lots of space, 10 PCI slots, active cooled HDD mounting, accomodation for five 140mm fans, and overall a very steardy and well crafted design. . . .

But, like with most cases, there was plenty of modding, cutting, and custom tinkering that needed to be done to get this case extactly how I like it. . . .

First of course was cutting off the front and rear fan grills . . . The rear grill just required removing the plastic fan mount and hitting it with a dremel. (Actually, first I tin snipped it, then I hit it with a grinder to make it as circular as possible, then I hit it with the dremel to smooth it out. . . .

1-Rearfangrillcutout.jpg

After that was the front grill. This required removing the front paneling which required removing the bottom base and the top plastic cover. Again, I used the tin snips, grinder, and dremel. . . .

2-Frontfangrillcutout.jpg

I also cut out the plastic center section on the fan mounts. They do nothing useful that I can see. They just obstruct air flow and probably make the case noisier. So off they went . . . .

3-Fanmountingcut.jpg

I also removed the little dust shield strips in the front plastic paneling. Again, I see nothing but air constriction. To me, there’s nothing like having your fans free to move the maximum amount of air. Plus, without those there the LED lights will shine brighter through the plastic cover! . . .

4-Frontpaneldustguardsremoved.jpg

I know I probably seem like a freak about removing air constriction, but I just like to have the absolute least air resistance possible. The more unhindered volume of air passing through the case, the better. I know my case is going to get dusty and I’ll have to blow it out on a regular basis anyways so I might as well get the best air flow possible.

Next, I went to mount the top “chimney” fan. Here is where I unfortunately saw what I think is a design flaw. Thermaltake set it up so that you mount the fan underneath the top of the case rather than above it. The problem is that it allows practically no breather space for the fan. When I measured the length of my PCPnC power supply, I found that it would cover the fan almost completely with less than ½ an inch between the fan and the PSU. So I decided to mount the fan above the top of the case instead which would make for a nice 2 to 2.5 inch gap instead. . . .

5-InstalligtopfanonThermaltakecase1.jpg

6-InstalligtopfanonThermaltakecase2.jpg

The problem I ran into is that the top plastic piece can’t fit back on case with the fan mounted up there. I completely removed the honeycomb piece that runs along the top. Then I found that the plastic grill at the very top can’t fit over the fan.

7-InstalligtopfanonThermaltakecase3.jpg

8-InstalligtopfanonThermaltakecase4.jpg

So I started cutting and shaving with the grinder and the dremel. Finally I ended up with a result that I am satisfied with. The only gripe would be that the plastic grill sticks up a little bit because of the fan, but that doesn’t bother me too much. At least I got my 140mm fan mounted up there the way I wanted . . .

9-Topplasticmodificedtoinstalledtop.jpg

Next I installed the fans for cooling the HDDs. The front 140mm intake fan was straight forward. I like that Thermaltake provided another bracket for placing another 140mm fan on the other side of the HDDs as well. That makes for a sort of push-pull fan configuration across the HDD cage. Very cool! The extra fan also blows on the video card (so Thermaltake actually calls it a VGA fan.) . . .

10-HDDfansinpush-pullconfiguration.jpg

I personally chose to remove the two extra HDD mounts on the bottom of the case. There’s already room for five drives in the HDD cage which is perfect for me since I use 4 Raptors in RAID 0 and one back-up drive. . . . So instead I mounted two 140mm fans to the bottom of the case. I thought that option is really neat!

11-Buttomfansinstalled.jpg

After that I installed the mounts for my BIX radiator. I like how this case had enough width for me to mount for posts for a solid support. I used some aluminum spacers to give room for the exhaust fan to still breath. . . .

12-Radiatormountinstalled.jpg

So far this case is awesome! Today I’ll be working on getting the rest setup. Hopefully we’ll be up and running by the end of the day with the TEC and water-cooling in place . . .

Last edited:
Looking forward to see how this comes out. I have my Armor+ still all boxed up while I try to figure out what I want to do with it.

looks like you have fans pointing in all directions so your circulating the air in the case!

its better to have one type of flow through the case say at the front blowing then sucking out the back

Thanks for the input, guys . . .
looks like you have fans pointing in all directions so your circulating the air in the case!

its better to have one type of flow through the case say at the front blowing then sucking out the back
Yes, I was thinking about that. But all the fans in the front and buttom are intake and all the fans in the back and top are exhaust. Wouldn't that still flow well? . . . . The only fan that isn't pulling air into the case or blowing it out is the one that next to the hard drive cage. But I don't think it's doing any harm because it still pushing air in the same general directions as the others, right?

The system is almost up and running at this point . . . I used my old OCZ 520 and a couple 7800GTs in SLI for testing and configuration purposes. Later I’ll swap in my PCPnC 1000W and some 8800GTs in SLI. . . .

13-Sideviewofclosedcase.jpg

I’m very happy with how the radiator mounting turned out. It’s very strong and secure. . . .

14-Radiatormounted.jpg

I also mounted the plug for the Meanwell power supply on the back You can see it next to the power supply plug. There almost wasn’t enough room for it! . . . .

15-Meanwellpowerswitchmounted.jpg

I also decided to mount my reservoir on the right near the optical drives. I like that location because it will be easy to fill and it’s fun to see it through the window when the case is closed. . . . .

16-Reservoirmounted.jpg

I found a nice cozy location for the pump. It slipped in perfectly between the bottom fan and the back of the case. I’m going to send the hoses through the bottom PCI slot to the radiator. I had to enlarge that slot with some persuasion from my grinder. I love having so many PCI slots. I’m using all of ten! . . . .

17-PumplocationanduseofPCIslots.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the flaps can also be taken off the front for anyone who doesn’t like them. I think it looks pretty cool that way . . .

18-Frontwithoutflaps.jpg

I decided to put my Meanwell power supply above my DVD burner. Having it mounted there make it possible for me to adjust the voltage or disconnect components easily. . . .

19-Meanwellvisible.jpg

I wish I had another silver bezel like the one that came with the floppy disk mount. Then it would look like this . . .

20-Meanwellwithsilverbezel.jpg

Overall, I really like this case. It does have a few other design flaws in my opinion, but I don’t think I could have found another case that would satisfy me more! . . . Next job is to start hooking up the hoses, running some water, and testing the TEC configuration. . . .

Last edited:
Got the hoses installed. It's definitely easier without the video cards water-cooled. . . .

21-Hosesinstalled.jpg

Later when I get the 8800GT cards I'm planning to put the TEC water blocks on them. I already yanked them off my old 7800GTX cards along with the copper heat sinks. But I don't think those heatsinks can be used anymore because the RAM chips came off with them. . . .

Tearingdownvideocards.jpg

Next up is leak testing. I like this little adaptor that I got from Danger Den that makes it easier to power the PSU when it's not attached to the motherboard. That makes it possible to run the pump without anything else running just in case the water loop leaks on something . . .

22-AdaptorforrunningPSUwithoutpower.jpg

Got the water loop and TEC up and running. Here’s a little frosty pic of the TEC block. (I wrote "R" for Revivalist in the frost.) . . .

25-Frostpicture3.jpg

There’s only one thing better than subjecting a CPU to the freezing cold . . . subjecting it to the freezing cold NAKED! . . . . So I stripped the heat spreader off with a razor blade. . . .

26-HeatspreaderremovedfromCPU.jpg

Mounting it on the CPU while idle gave me -3C. . . .

28-Subzerotemps.jpg

I’m looking forward to see what results I get overclocking. . . . I decided to go with the 8800GTS cards for now since I was able to make room for them . . . .

31-Opencase3.jpg

I made room for the video cards by moving the PCI slot fan controllers to the open compartment at the top. . . .

33-Topofcase1.jpg

I can close that compartment and looks it pretty slick. I'm also happy with the way the top mounted fan turned out . . .

36-Topofcase4.jpg

Here’s a few pics of the finished rig. . . .

48-Closedcase9.jpg

50-Frontofcase1.jpg

And of course, night mode . . . .

54-Nightmodeside4.jpg

57-Nightmodeside7.jpg

Needless to say, I am very happy with this case. It turned out to be absolutely perfect for my needs! . . .

Last edited:
Looking sick as hell, your work on the top is giving me ideas. I can't wait to put mine under the knife.

P.S. What watercooling kit are you using?

uhm you did the same cutting mods i did to my Kandalf LCS case. but i had to cut the top plastic pc so that way air could escape out better.
100_0563cutout.jpg

100_0566.jpg

also i add 2 - 120mm fans into the bottom 6 5.25" bay and removed the metal screen from them as well.

aslo what radiator and pump and block are you using? since i am still using the stock pump and radiator that case came with. but i am using the DD TDX block. but mine has never gotten that cold before. not even when i open the window up when it was snowing outside and was like -20 outside. my pc sits right next to the window.
nice job on the case though. and the rest of the install. it give me a few ideas what to do if and when i can upgrade my H2O system.

Back