• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running e2160 at 80C Load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What volts? Exactly what clock? Check CPU-Z please?

Heat is not the sole factor contributing to the lifespan. I can have that cpu at -270 degrees and 2.2volts and yet, it may only last 6 months.

you really think 2.2 volts would give you a whole 6 months??
I wouldn't bet on it :)

Can you give us full system specs and what you are running everything at? It is hard to tell you how long it will last even with the specs...so it is extremely difficult now :)

E2160 @ 1.43V vcore running 80C = crappy cooler or bad mount or bad TIM spread (end of story). That CPU should not be reaching those temps with a decent cooler properly mounted. My Q6600 doesn't reach 80C even at 3.8GHz @ 1.51V (granted I am on water).

E2160 @ 1.43V vcore running 80C = crappy cooler or bad mount or bad TIM spread (end of story). That CPU should not be reaching those temps with a decent cooler properly mounted. My Q6600 doesn't reach 80C even at 3.8GHz @ 1.51V (granted I am on water).

you are correct... its running on the stock cooler and i dont care to buy another one

I wouldn't bet on it :)

Can you give us full system specs and what you are running everything at? It is hard to tell you how long it will last even with the specs...so it is extremely difficult now :)

e2160 @ 3.3ghz, 1.43 vcore, 367 FSB

all the other components are running at stock speed and/or underclocked

Well, being the minimal E2**0 stock cooler, I say that 80C isn't something being improperly mounted. It's just exceeding the cooler's capacity a bit. Running at 80C shouldn't be any REAL concern, it shouldn't cut the lifetime of the CPU much, if at all, and it will certainly not die because of the temp before you've bought yourself a new CPU. Although, if it gets hotter than 80C under load, I would consider an aftermarket cooler. Just a Freezer 7 Pro (About $20), or even one of the larger Intel stock coolers should be enough. They usually go for a dollar at the local computer store.

In short, 80 isn't ideal, but it's nothing fatal either. Over 80 is a tad too far.

e2160 @ 3.3ghz, 1.43 vcore, 367 FSB

all the other components are running at stock speed and/or underclocked

just to add to what has been said if you dont want to replace the cooler you could at least clean off the crappy thermal junk that Intel places on their heatsinks and apply a TIM (the proper way). A guy on another thread had a nasty blob of bad thermal paste and was running real hot due to this.

you really think 2.2 volts would give you a whole 6 months??

I'm just pointing out that there is such a thing as degration and therefore, heat is not the only thing to gauge the lifespan. Sorry to sound offensive in the pervious post. I can't be bothered with being polite.

Back