• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wired: Can GTA save the PS3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

First, let me preface this with a little bit of shock and awe for you guys.....

Who says the PS3 needs saving? The PS3 is primed and set to take over the market. You can't find a damned Wii still, everyone who wanted a 360 has got one by now. BluRay won the HD war. Every gaming site I've read is saying it, my ear has been to the ground and I have been hearing it. Everyone is now buzzing about the PS3. People now WANT the BluRay movies, they WANT the system with the bigger feature set now that's it's only $50 more.

It took a LONG time for the Sony machine to ramp up. They made mistakes, BIG ONES (MS did too, but they somehow are immune to the effects). MS owned 2005-early 2008. Sony will probably own mid 2008-2010... Then MS hits them where it hurts with the Xbox3 or whatever they call it.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/04/can-grand-theft.html

Who says the PS3 needs saving?

That was my first thought. The PS3 is doing just fine. Hell, I'd say that it's finally starting to come into it's prime. As of right now at this moment I'd buy a PS3 over an Xbox 360. There is going to be some REALLY good stuff for the PS3 in the pipe by Christmas (as I've been saying since Christmas last year).

The PS3 is fine. It's not going anywhere.

I just bought my PS3 this past weekend. And granted its only been a week and all I have played is MLB The Show 08 and Resistance... but I have to say I am not impressed. the graphics are ok everything seems a bit cartoony to me. Load times are painfully slow, as are the install times. The only thing I see so far that exceeds the 360 is the media player aspect of it. I'm not a 360 fanboy because I own both systems, its just my objective opinion.

I don't know how this is not predictable by now and I have been saying it before these consoles came out.

Nintendo comes out strong with its hit titles like Mario and Zelda and gets people hyped up. They release those games in the life span of the console and rest of the games in the library are just garbage (some shouldn't even be considered as games). Not to mention that developers won't make games for them.

Xbox and Playstation just have better quality games, simple as that. Now that Blu-Ray is next gen media it's fairly safe to say that Playstation will win once again as they have done before.

I just bought my PS3 this past weekend. And granted its only been a week and all I have played is MLB The Show 08 and Resistance... but I have to say I am not impressed. the graphics are ok everything seems a bit cartoony to me. Load times are painfully slow, as are the install times. The only thing I see so far that exceeds the 360 is the media player aspect of it. I'm not a 360 fanboy because I own both systems, its just my objective opinion.

You may want to try other games. I have not play MLB, so I can't say anything about it. As for resistance, the fun part is the game play. As for graphics, it is the first game that came out during the launch of PS3. Probably not the game to look for if you want to be impress with graphics. COD4 looks way much better. It's my understanding that the game to check out some graphic power is Grand Turiismo Prologue.

First, let me preface this with a little bit of shock and awe for you guys.....

Who says the PS3 needs saving? The PS3 is primed and set to take over the market. You can't find a damned Wii still, everyone who wanted a 360 has got one by now. BluRay won the HD war. Every gaming site I've read is saying it, my ear has been to the ground and I have been hearing it. Everyone is now buzzing about the PS3. People now WANT the BluRay movies, they WANT the system with the bigger feature set now that's it's only $50 more.

It took a LONG time for the Sony machine to ramp up. They made mistakes, BIG ONES (MS did too, but they somehow are immune to the effects). MS owned 2005-early 2008. Sony will probably own mid 2008-2010... Then MS hits them where it hurts with the Xbox3 or whatever they call it.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/04/can-grand-theft.html

I pretty much agree with what you said, although I still see MS as the one holding the gun. Not everyone who wants a next gen console has one because the price points are still high.

If MS wanted to dramatically slash prices down to levels Sony couldn't/wouldn't reach right now, they could. Instead, they are just riding the wave seemingly for a better balance sheet.

That MS has been so conservative with price drops...basically very non-competitive...may be the best evidence we have that MS has decided to beat the PS3 with a new console instead of the 360.

You may want to try other games. I have not play MLB, so I can't say anything about it. As for resistance, the fun part is the game play. As for graphics, it is the first game that came out during the launch of PS3. Probably not the game to look for if you want to be impress with graphics. COD4 looks way much better. It's my understanding that the game to check out some graphic power is Grand Turiismo Prologue.

Don't know anything about resistance but the Show is frickin' sweet..... How could you say that it doesn't look impressive?

That MS has been so conservative with price drops...basically very non-competitive...may be the best evidence we have that MS has decided to beat the PS3 with a new console instead of the 360.

Is that the lifespan of MS consoles? Not trying to bad mouth their product, but why make a console that has only a 3 - 4 year lifespan.

Is that the lifespan of MS consoles? Not trying to bad mouth their product, but why make a console that has only a 3 - 4 year lifespan.

Aside from the PS2, 5 years is about normal clear back to the NES which debuted in the US in 1985 then the SNES in 1991.

Don't know anything about resistance but the Show is frickin' sweet..... How could you say that it doesn't look impressive?

I just think the Show looks cartoony...(great game. I love the RTTS mode...) maybe its because its native 720p and my TV is upscaling it to 1080i... I dunno. I got Lair and GT5: Prologue off eBay for 40 bucks maybe they'll be better.

Play MLB 2K7 or 2K8. I own a 360 and I despise sega for ****ing up on their MLB offerings. If you're an MLB fan, the show is the only game out there. Should I ever buy a PS3 for the media aspect of it, the only game I'd pick up for it would be the show, mostly because all my friends own a 360.

If MS wanted to dramatically slash prices down to levels Sony couldn't/wouldn't reach right now, they could. Instead, they are just riding the wave seemingly for a better balance sheet.

Hmm, I agree and disagree. First, I think Sony could slash prices. I have read quite a few articles about their new parts of the system that are cheaper to produce. I think both system just want to ride the wave for now.

Play MLB 2K7 or 2K8. I own a 360 and I despise sega for ****ing up on their MLB offerings. If you're an MLB fan, the show is the only game out there. Should I ever buy a PS3 for the media aspect of it, the only game I'd pick up for it would be the show, mostly because all my friends own a 360.

I was always a MLB 2k? fan... until this year. They totally screwed the pooch with their new interface....

Is the PS3 even profitable yet? By that I mean, from all those months they sold it at a loss (or didn't sell enough period) are they seeing enough profit now that they are past the break even point?

I agree that this year is going to be PS3's best though, the summer especially.

Is the PS3 even profitable yet? By that I mean, from all those months they sold it at a loss (or didn't sell enough period) are they seeing enough profit now that they are past the break even point?

I agree that this year is going to be PS3's best though, the summer especially.

There are some article indicating that PS3 is starting to trun profit end of this year, or next year. Can't really remember. It takes time to refine the manufacturing process, and also time to recope the development cost.

Hmm, I agree and disagree. First, I think Sony could slash prices. I have read quite a few articles about their new parts of the system that are cheaper to produce. I think both system just want to ride the wave for now.

I don't doubt that they would cut prices and try to follow, but MS is way ahead on lower hardware costs. They could go down to price levels that Sony wouldn't follow. If they had a more competitive attitude, they'd already be there to some degree and forcing a bigger price gap between the systems.

MS is already slashing price in Europe and Asia to keep up sales with the Nintendo Wii, and Playstation 3. Just not further slashing price in US.

There was some rumor that there will be another price slash for PS3 this coming Chirstmas. Of course, it's a rumor. If it turns out to be true, I'm sure MS will do the same for the 360.

3-4 years is pretty short, but keep in mind that it's already been 2.5 years. From the time they officially announce anything, it would be probably 18 months minimum before anything became available - real world is usually longer. There's virtually no way they impair a Christmas season with fresh news of it...so the earliest possible we would hear anything would probably be sometime next year. That would put us at just in time for Christmas 2010 - 5 years. And, 360 doesn't automatically die at such time.

5 to 6 years is actually about the type of span I would want out of a console. Beyond that, and it's just plain old technology to be playing games on. My PC already smokes what either of the consoles can do, and it's along the lines of "value performance."

A new console in 2010 will probably internally render at 1080p with some pretty good AA and filtering. A Core/Arcade type system would probably have some sort of solid-state drive to eliminate the issue of not having a HDD in a low price point system. I hope a new one does come out around then...it'll be nice to play.

MS is already slashing price in Europe and Asia to keep up sales with the Nintendo Wii, and Playstation 3. Just not further slashing price in US.

There was some rumor that there will be another price slash for PS3 this coming Chirstmas. Of course, it's a rumor. If it turns out to be true, I'm sure MS will do the same for the 360.

Yeah, I bet we'll see cuts on both sides leading into the Christmas season to stimulate sales. The resulting price comparisons will be interesting to see.

360 is still by far and away more popular console and sony still couldnt **** a decent first party or exclusive title if it tried, mind you all is quiet on the 360 release front too there is gta4 on both systems of course. Wii fit and mario kart wii are wiping the floor in our store and smash bros brawl is creating a huge hype

Back