• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where's 2d mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I'd like my 8800GTS to ramp down to 2d mode when it's not running a game, but it doesn't seem to do this. I even editted the bios to have 2 modes, with 2d set to 300/1200/500 and 3d set to the defaults of 576/1350/850. Only runs at the 3d settings. Rivatuner acknowledges the 2d settings if I use the driver level overclock, then cancel it (the 2d settings show when 2d is selected from the drop down). Of course rivatuner doesn't allow for independent control of 2d/3d (chaning one changes the other).

I'd like to know this too. My laptop and main system do the same thing. :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, the consistent answer I'm finding (and find hard to believe) is:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5463841

One thing I noticed in rivatuner is the low power 3 mode in the power user settings. So I'm wondering if I mod the bios for a low power 3d mode (which I believe I saw) if this will actually work in essentially downclocking the card automatically... but I don't know how it will trigger this low power mode...

Hmmm, it should run in 2d mode when not gaming :shrug: Did you try unchecking "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" ?

Last edited:
Hmmm, it should run in 2d mode when not gaming :shrug: Did you try unchecking "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" ?

Yes and Yes (should work, but doesn't... and yes to not using rivatuner to overclock).

I've confirmed through googling that I'm not alone.

One thing I noticed in rivatuner is the low power 3 mode in the power user settings. So I'm wondering if I mod the bios for a low power 3d mode (which I believe I saw) if this will actually work in essentially downclocking the card automatically... but I don't know how it will trigger this low power mode...

Thinking more about this I realized that I would have the same problem as with 2d mode - there's nothing triggering the event to cause the card to automatically downclock. One solution is to create hotkeys and do this myself... while that's viable I find it silly that nvidia would remove this functionality from its drivers, especially when it helps to keep things slightly cooler and likely prolongs video card life.

Last edited:
I would like to know this for my lappy. When I'm not using it for <I>light</I> gaming I would like it to downclock to conserve battery power.

Back