• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual display problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
When I run my 8800GT (first graphics card I've ever bought that cost more than $150) for some reason I can only clone the display or span it across the two monitors. The problem is that it treats both of them as one monitor WHICH IS VERY ANNOYING :mad: The taskbar is spanned across both monitors and every window opens half in one monitor, half in the other - leaving three inches of beige plastic in the middle of everything:bang head Back a few years ago (QUITE a few years ago now that I think about it:santa:) I ran a gateway (pentium 233, three PCI video cards, windows 98) with three monitors (two on the bottom, one on top in the middle) and it didn't do any of this annoying crap. I was easily able to use the display properties in windows to set a default display windows would open in and the task bar would be in - ONLY in that one primary monitor. And more recently I have done this in windows XP with the system I had just a couple years ago (s478 2.5 GHz, two ATI cards - sometimes one) that I ran two or one time even four monitors on and again, the computer knew it had multiple displays and the drivers didn't trick windows into this one big monitor BS. What I am trying to do is get windows to manage my multi display settings and not the nVidia utilities. Another thing I should be able to do is set individual resolutions for each monitor :rolleyes: Why did nVidia screw up (or disable:mad:) the awesome multi monitor setup microsoft made up almost ten years ago:confused:

ultramon is a program my friend recommenced using. it gives dual monitor support. and ablity to shift programs from one screen to another. i used it once and it was nice. research it :)

Dont use Nvidia for the dual control. Just go into Windows Display Control Panel and set it to extend to the other monitor.

No... For some reason it just shows it as one display in the windows settings. Thats why I am asking for help. Even if I disable the nvidia config it still won't work in the windows config. Imposter, that program only saw one monitor like windows...

set it as a span and reboot
then go back into the control panel and change it to dualview...worked for me

heh, didn't think to try that, normally I never shut down. Thanks in advance!

argh this is why nVidia is known as a gamers card and not as a users card... im going to be switching soon, I hope I do not go through these problems. Rebooting on display changes? how archaic.

Archaic? You have it easy, just plug in x video card and it's all set. Back in the old day you had to figure out the address and interrupts and getting 2 displays running not mirrored would be a sign of high end computer. back then, the only easy way to get multiple monitor and video support was to use a Macintosh. The then Mac II was the first "low priced" (under $10,000 IIRC) computer that could have up to 6 video cards and 6 monitors with no jumper, no hassles, no fancy drivers, etc.

Now that is archaic. :)

Back