• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New toys to play with!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zarren

I've bought some new hardware to play with,and I have let the system run now for about 2.5 weeks to settle in.I admit I've played around with OCing it a few times,but now it's time to see what this thing can really do.As I am compleatley new to ocing I need help from some pros,so please give me your thoughts.I would like to hit the 4.0ghz mark,more is better but gotta stay safe you know!
Anyways : my hardware list.............................................................
Asus P5N-D 750i chipset latest .402 bios (optional fan on chipset)
Intell e8400 3.0ghz cpu
Cooling Astek LCLC 120mm version sealed liquid cooling system (cpu only)
OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2gig DDR2 800 4.4.3.15 2T (4 would not physically fit)
PSU PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 860 watt
2 WD Raptors 74gig in raid 0 array
1 WD 1tb 5400 to 7200 storage harrdrive
1 Lite-On DVDRW,1 Pioneer DVDRW (love the Pioneer)
1 Mitsumi floppy/combo card reader/writer (in one unit is great)
1 Zalman M-MFC2 fan controller/power monitor
Asus Xoner DX2 pci sound card (I'm lovin' it!)
1 BFG 9800 GX2 stock 1gig video card (barley fit in case,10.6 inches long)
(yes I saved room for that 2nd BFG card soon)
NZXT Zero pc case only right two fans on side window becouse of radiator for LCLC system. I covered the entire inside of this case with Dynamat Extreme. All fans,(remaining 5 120's) were replaced with Thermaltake smart fans to be controlled by the Zalman,all have 3 blue leds on them and 93.7 cfm at max each. Case has custom paint job with Nvidia SLI logo and babe on both sides along with an entire black background and floressent green trim.That X looking thing on the front is also green with the rest like a black/dark grey graphite look.
OS is Windows Vista 64bit fully updated (all software current for video and sound card)

With the system set to auto settings in bios,(stock),my idle temps are 37-40C for CPU and 38c for chipset after 2 hours or more running at desktop.
I used PC Probe II and Core temp 0.98 to check temps in Windows.PC Probe only list 1 cpu temp,the higher one,but is the only software I have to check chipset temps.When checked in bios temps are about 3 degrees higher on average for all.Ambient temp in room is 68-74F.
2 hours in Prime95 cpu only test,49-53c,no change for chipset at all.So what do you guys think? IS 4.0ghz possible?
I'm gonna try 3.6ghz in the mean time.

:welcome: to the forums!

Damn nice rig. A lot of people are getting 4.0ghz on the E8400s, checkout the thread about them in the Intel section if you need help. Then after you OC your cpu you can work on your GPU :)

GL

Oh and we love pics and screenshots ;)

Alright I am up and running at 4.050ghz 450x9 at 1.312 vcore.1.34 on the NB,auto on everything else.1800mhz FSB. idel temps at 44 to 48c for cpu and 44c for chipset.

Can anyone tell me what would be considerd to HOT for this cpu and or chipset? Currently I am trying to stay under 71c for cpu and 55c for chipset at full loads.

OK with Real Temp 2.5 I am getting 34 and 36c at idle.But which one of these temp utilities should I trust? I gots no idea.

Last edited:
The main differences between RealTemp and CoreTemp are idle temp calibration and different Tjunctions for the same chip. I think Realtemp is 95 and Coretemp is 105. They both use the same sensor readings so they are essentially identical.

Either way, 71c max loaded (Prime) is not bad. You'd be 20+C from the Tjunction and shouldn't case any harm to the chip.

OK i got some errors in P95.but it list them in the main window as invalid line missing in .ini file.So I deleated the folder and downloaded it again.This fixed the ini issue.(no idea what happend there).Anyways,not stable at 1.312.So I've bumped it up to 1.36 for NB and 1.360 by CPU-Z for vcore.18 min and error on core 2.Temps at 59to64C in Core Temp 100% load for the 18min.
I have set my ram,OZC Reaper HPC DDR2 800 at 800mhz 4.4.3.15 2T at 2.11 volts.Which is there default settings.So if I understand correctly,as long as I do not change the ram speed,this should not effect the cpu errors right?
I'm gonna bump up the vcore another notch and retest now.

1.376 for vcore and 1.36 for NB.2.11 for memory at stock speeds,(4 gigs).Stable all day so far.Oh and that post of mine above with the link to pics now has CPU-Z shots.
66 to 70C 100% load.

Back