• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm finding a hard time finding cpu benchmarks could you guys help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeviantV1ral

its been a while ive been out of the compter scene, basically i want to know how much of a difference this new laptop i might buy, perform compared to my desktops and old laptop

heres the list

desktops:
an AMD athlon xp barton 2500+
pentium 4 641 (3.2 ghz)

old laptop:
1033 mhz pentium 3
core solo 1.6 ghz

new laptop i might purchase:
merom core 2 duo 2.0ghz

thanks

thanks, i was looking for benchmarks with better control, but this will it gave me a decent idea of how its going to perform, it seems like the core solo and the core 2 duo isn't as big of a difference i thought it would.

Thats because most of the benchmarks hosted @ hwbot are not multi-threaded. Check wPrime, PCMark & 3DMark06 (cpu test only).

wprime is a good benching program. You can optimize it for the amount of cores you have, and there its also a stability test...kinda...

Is there a particular CPU intensive application you plan on using with the new laptop? If so it would be probably be of alot more use to find comparisons with that particular application, performance comparisons of a completly unrelated application would have little bearing.

If its just general computer use, just having the 2 cores and a higher clock speed is the biggest change, and brings upon certain general use benefits. If its gaming your thinking about, then the laptops graphics (often very weak) is by far the biggest concern, as the CPU will have little impact.

the reason i'm buying a laptop and selling my p4 rig is cause i quit pc gaming, i game on the ps3 whenever i want to.

i'm in 3rd year college i need the portability and battery life, but i do some mildly heavy photoshop work. pretty soon i'll be part of a team at my church that do a lot of media work

graphics design and some video editing.

i'm buying a macbook santa rosa, the church uses osx systems and it would be a lot easier this way. and i have a nice 20 inch lcd at home, and an iMac at the church.

i leave my laptop on for days, so i'll probably be upgrading the RAM as soon as i can.

i do download a few things in the background while working (torrent)

leave word on my papers for school

and make the laptop sleep and wake up.

thats about what i'll use it for other than some small everyday things like webcam and music and even a media server

and i'm a bit torn whether i would go for the core2duo 2.0 or 2.16 ghz(none santa rosa)

Back