• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing water from my video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

Last night I was moving everything over to a new case and a small puddle of water hit my video card. I quickly dabbed the water from the card and the card sat overnight. Is there anything else I should do to the card before powering it up? Should I clean the card with alchohol and q tips? Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Water is not a problem for electronic components per se.

The problem is water when you have an active electrical current running through the item.

So long as you dont power up your card until it is DRY DRY DRY, you will not have any issues.

As Elvis has stated, use a hair dryer, as well as some compressed canned air to blow the water off as well as evap it with the hair dryer.

If your system was off when the spillage occured, you are perfectly fine.

Just make sure its dry before you power up again :D

If you're running distiled/bottled water in your loop, your card is fine. If it's plain tap water with additives, then I would let it dry atleast 24hrs. When I first built my loop one of the Rad Barbs had a leak and it liked to puddle on the back of the video card. When I first noticed it I would day that 60% of the card had water on it. I use straight bottled water in my setup. The card is still running strong with no issues and still bares the water marks to prove it.
**Note:** The computer was on when it was leaking.

I'd do a clean with alcohol and a cloth/q-tips to make sure it's completely clean. Wait around 5 minutes after wiping it down with alcohol (honestly 30 seconds is probably enough if you're using 91%+ isopropanol alcohol) and fire it up :)

also watch for the spread of thermal paste. if you used a conductive paste on your vga, then getting it wet could cause it to flow onto different parts of the card, leading to a short when u power it up even if the card is dry of water. this is probably unlikely, but you never know!

I'd do a clean with alcohol and a cloth/q-tips to make sure it's completely clean. Wait around 5 minutes after wiping it down with alcohol (honestly 30 seconds is probably enough if you're using 91%+ isopropanol alcohol) and fire it up :)

I wouldnt say isopropanol alcohol and fire in the same sentence when talking about video cards if I were you... :beer::santa:

you dont have to clean it with alcohol or anything just let it dry out....if it was off then you should be good to go bro just give it like 24 hours or so

I just fire up my laptop and fold away. Pumps out a nice jet of air at ~60C, and I keep it going for a day or two.

Don't worry

If this doesn't put your mind at ease I don’t know what will.

OK...So... I was at the lake with some friends “chillen” and some one else there had a portable boom box playing on the dock. (Sea what I’m getting at) so this guy walks up, picks up the thing. And over hands it into the middle of the lake
(He’s excuse was "he didn't like the song"):screwy: :beer:

Any way... you could here it... playing... under the water...(just sounds) It kept going for like 20 min. until the water finally got to some thing and it stopped. It's still at the bottom somewhere not that it’s any good any more. (Palmer lake WA.)

Yeah... so long as its not salt water it should be good. (Especially if it’s dry.)

-()blivion

If this doesn't put your mind at ease I don’t know what will.

OK...So... I was at the lake with some friends “chillen” and some one else there had a portable boom box playing on the dock. (Sea what I’m getting at) so this guy walks up, picks up the thing. And over hands it into the middle of the lake
(He’s excuse was "he didn't like the song"):screwy: :beer:

Any way... you could here it... playing... under the water...(just sounds) It kept going for like 20 min. until the water finally got to some thing and it stopped. It's still at the bottom somewhere not that it’s any good any more. (Palmer lake WA.)

Yeah... so long as its not salt water it should be good. (Especially if it’s dry.)

-()blivion

The puns slay me :D :D

Back