• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my Q6600 G0 so hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trilvester

I got installed my new Q6600 along with my new ram and motherboard. I had a little trouble installing the heatsink so I kinda broke my Freezer 7 pro so I put on the stock heatsink. The temps ran at like 72C at idle (not sure if it is accurate I hadn't installed any motherboard drivers yet) so I took it off and installed the freezer 7 pro. Here are my temps.
cputempsloadxz9.jpg

I think the reason my temps are so high is because there isn't really any thermal compound on the CPU. When trying to put on my Freezer 7 pro I screwed up so I wiped it all off and then put on the stock heatsink which got its compound on it. So then I put back on the freezer 7 pro so it has kind of a mix of both that isn't really spread good :p
So if I buy some thermal compound and put it on right should the temps go down to what other people are getting? like 30C at idle and maybe 60C at load. Mine are around 45C at idle :(

I've run my x3210 (pretty much the same as the Q6600) in the 60s or 70s before - I wouldn't worry about anything under 50. I never use thermal paste because I can never find it while I am changing heat sinks and (I THINK) when your processor and heatsink are both well lapped thermal paste doesn't help much.

I agree with Opteron. You need to check the paste. Those heatsinks can be a bit tricky to get on properly. I had simular temps with my Quad, it was a heatsink issue. The stock one is not very good if you are going to overclock, get a better sink.

E

ben is right when i lapped my dulie i put it on without the paste and it was like a 7c hotter without it....but you don't really need much @ all
__
----
this is all u might need

I think the reason my temps are so high is because there isn't really any thermal compound on the CPU. When trying to put on my Freezer 7 pro I screwed up so I wiped it all off and then put on the stock heatsink which got its compound on it. So then I put back on the freezer 7 pro so it has kind of a mix of both that isn't really spread good :p
So if I buy some thermal compound and put it on right should the temps go down to what other people are getting? like 30C at idle and maybe 60C at load. Mine are around 45C at idle :(
That is why, you need thermal paste on the processor. I wouldn't even be running it at all right now.

this would be one of those times that you use toothpaste as an emergency type patch for a couple hours heheh

Take the HSF off NOW !!! Take a cloth and some alcohol and wipe the HSF off and the CPU as well . reapply the thermal paste AS5 or whatever you have and I think you should do it now ! then recheck temps all should be fine .

Take the HSF off NOW !!! Take a cloth and some alcohol and wipe the HSF off and the CPU as well . reapply the thermal paste AS5 or whatever you have and I think you should do it now ! then recheck temps all should be fine .

Did you read the thread? It was a short one so no excuse tsk tsk LOL jk

He did not aply paste.... hence the temps

Plus Q6600 are notoriously in need of lapping... dunno about the AC7

Obviously you need some AS5.

But my bet is the heat sink is not being installed properly. I have fought with the stock HS several times and it is best to take the board out of the case and install the HS so you know it is properly mounted by direct inspection. I know its a PINA but it works every time.

make sure you spread a line of paste on the IHS like this

pastetc8.jpg

paste2br9.jpg

i would also like to add

the quad core will probably idle around 40C and load around 60 or so depending on how good your case airflow is, if you have the right amount of paste on the cpu and heatsink, and how good your heatsink is. i had a freezer 7 pro but the amd version and it was HORRIBLE.

i would of gotten a zalman or this thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102

i have the thermaltake and its awesome

Last edited:
make sure you spread a line of paste on the IHS like this

pastetc8.jpg

paste2br9.jpg

i would also like to add

the quad core will probably idle around 40C and load around 60 or so depending on how good your case airflow is, if you have the right amount of paste on the cpu and heatsink, and how good your heatsink is. i had a freezer 7 pro but the amd version and it was HORRIBLE.

i would of gotten a zalman or this thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102

i have the thermaltake and its awesome

I agree.
-Please add thermal paste now!
As mentioned above apply it in a small line.
you will not need much just enough to ensure proper contact for good heat transfer.
Buy it now:).
Good luck.

I personally take a surgical rubber glove ( get them at the pharmacy ) I put about 2 grains of rice on a finger . then taking that finger that is covered in a glove and threamal paste I apply it to the entire IHS . I cover the IHS of the CPU in a nice thin coat of AS5 and then I apply the HSF . It seems to work every time ! I have done this step for every CPU I have had since my Athlon XP !
And not once have I ever seen temps as high as that . :attn:

I personally take a surgical rubber glove ( get them at the pharmacy ) I put about 2 grains of rice on a finger . then taking that finger that is covered in a glove and threamal paste I apply it to the entire IHS . I cover the IHS of the CPU in a nice thin coat of AS5 and then I apply the HSF . It seems to work every time ! I have done this step for every CPU I have had since my Athlon XP !
And not once have I ever seen temps as high as that . :attn:

Me too dude. I have always had great luck with spreading the AS5 over the entire IHS surface. Same with this guy:http://www.dangerden.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=42

The line method, while widely accepted, scares me quite frankly. But, I tried it this weekend when I put my new MC-TDX on the CPU. We'll see how it goes, looks alright so far.

it shouldnt scare you at all in the slightest.. you are supposed to give the cooler a twist in each direction by just a few degrees, and then clamp it. the whole ihs doesnt have to be covered with it :)

it shouldnt scare you at all in the slightest.. you are supposed to give the cooler a twist in each direction by just a few degrees, and then clamp it. the whole ihs doesnt have to be covered with it :)

I would rather cover the entire IHS (for better cooling ) than just put a line on it and twist the HSF to cover it . but whatever floats your boat . I think it is better to be safe then sorry after all .

I would rather cover the entire IHS (for better cooling ) than just put a line on it and twist the HSF to cover it . but whatever floats your boat . I think it is better to be safe then sorry after all .

The only problem w/ the spread method is that you can introduce air bubbles or pockets. This will impede thermal transfer.

Back