• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where are all the PC games!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

I know Mass Effect is coming, as well as Fallout 3 (multiplat as well), Alan Wake but not for a while, lets see what am I missing...? Seriously it feels like its been a little while since any good PC games have come out, I know a crap ton came out before Xmas. I know AoC is coming, though I dont have time for MMOs anymore. Consoles have been getting all the spotlight, I am playing GTA4 just like most other folks but my PC is still where my heart is. Is there anything I am missing in terms of big upcoming PC games?

Its been this way for a while now unfortunately :(

AOC out this month
Warhammer online, hopefully in October
WOW Xpack, possibly around same time as Warhammer.

PC games aren't lucrative any more. Used to be that they were developed on the PC and the console got the port if you were lucky. Now, the consoles are the primary development platform and the PC gets the port if you're lucky. Most of the time you get a nice graphics boost or some different interface menus with it.... but IMO those things are negligible and I'd rather play the console version than to mess with ridiculous gfx card requirements to get it to look better than the console version. It's a different era, things have shifted. I believe it will only get worse.

PC games aren't lucrative any more. Used to be that they were developed on the PC and the console got the port if you were lucky. Now, the consoles are the primary development platform and the PC gets the port if you're lucky. Most of the time you get a nice graphics boost or some different interface menus with it.... but IMO those things are negligible and I'd rather play the console version than to mess with ridiculous gfx card requirements to get it to look better than the console version. It's a different era, things have shifted. I believe it will only get worse.

Thats not totally true. You will never see good MMO's on just consoles. They will always be on PC first, or only PC or come out on both like AOC is.

As far as SP games, consoles definitely win.

I have been wondering the same thing really.
I much prefer computer gaming (partly because I tote my laptop everywhere with me)

I keep going into EB games and places like that looking for a new game but really there isnt anything out there anymore.
Spore is coming out in september so I am holding my breath for that but other then that there isnt much to go on. I have gone back to playing some of the previous good ones.

I might go get mario kart for the Wii and dink around on that for a bit

Agreed. I would also say the Microsoft in its bid to try to get people to go with Vista has fracture PC gamers and stalled PC gaming advancement because not many people have Vista. They over estimated how many people would upgrade to Vista to get DX10. Maybe the PC Gaming Alliance can do something but I do not have very high hopes for that. Seriously though... any new titles I am forgetting? I am enjoying playing GTA4 on my 360 but I really want to see PC gaming get healthy.

Sadly I really don't think we will ever see the day where PC gaming gets back to where it once was. Back in the day (makes it seem like it was so long ago) PC gaming couldn't be touched. Remember LucasArts hayday with games like X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, and DotT. Also lets not forget other classics like Diablo, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Total Annihilation, C&C series through RA, and thats just a few.

I wish PC gaming would go back to games like that, however sadly it seems that the money for PC gaming rests on MMO's.

Thats not totally true. You will never see good MMO's on just consoles. They will always be on PC first, or only PC or come out on both like AOC is.

As far as SP games, consoles definitely win.

Great...so we have to pay monthly fees for games still under development (mostly in terms of bug fixes) to be "unique."

Microsoft has Xbox 360 now, they don't really care about PC games anymore because they have both areas covered. Before 360 they tried harder to lobby more designers to PC, now that's gone.

The other big part of PC was playing on the internet, now every console can do that. No reason at all to game on the PC anymore unless it's an MMO. But a really good MMO might be coming for a console who knows, when that happens, high end PC gaming will be done. PC gaming will move to lower end that can be easily played on a laptop.

I also disagree about MMO's staying on PCs, they will most definately come to consoles. There is just so much money to be made. They might be terrible at first, but there will definately be some in the future.

I have been wondering the same thing really.
I much prefer computer gaming (partly because I tote my laptop everywhere with me)

I keep going into EB games and places like that looking for a new game but really there isnt anything out there anymore.
Spore is coming out in september so I am holding my breath for that but other then that there isnt much to go on. I have gone back to playing some of the previous good ones.

I might go get mario kart for the Wii and dink around on that for a bit

agree with you on spore been waiting a loooong time for it but w just got some cover art for it and there using the viva pinata engine. i almost cryd when i saw that.

i just looked n our coming soon section and there is no good games that id consider buying coming till fall :(

srry if som letters are missing som of my keys on my phone dont work too good.

Team Fortress 2 is all you need. ;)

Also, playing online on consoles is a joke. Matchmaking? Lame..

No mods or configurable servers? Lame..

No user created maps for free? Triple lame..

Plenty of good games coming alan wake, left for dead, spore, fallout 3, far cry 2, race driver grid, project origin, starcraft 2, lego batman, indiana jones, battlefield heroes, stalker clear sky, mass effect, brothers in arms: hells highway, alone in the dark and mercenaries 2 to name a few im looking forward to. but i agree nothing of note lately although i would reccomend rome europa universalis if you like strategy games.

Its hard to see a vast MMO such as WoW being a console game and actually doing great. I had so many hot keys in WoW it wasn't funny.

Yeah I think SPORE is about the only game for the PC right now. That and whenever HL2: Episode 3 comes out.

I'm with you Ir1, there's not really anything great out. I'm finally getting to a point that I can afford to have halfway decent hardware, and now there's nothing to play :(

I'm finally getting to a point that I can afford to have halfway decent hardware, and now there's nothing to play :(
NOTHING TO PLAY??!

I don't understand you single player gamers....nothing to play..give me a break.

NOTHING TO PLAY??!

I don't understand you single player gamers....nothing to play..give me a break.

Well, in my case, I'm a [primarily] single player gamer due to a 1 1/2 year old terrorizing everything she can reach or climb to. I have to be able to jump up at a moment's notice. multiplayer doesn't lend itself too well to that, so I don't get too much time for it. oh, and I dunno what to tell you about your break ;)

and there is something to be said for just paying for a game once ;)
I have tried a few MMO's, got myself 3 70's in WoW (one is Kara geared for both dps and healing) and yet WoW now bores me to the point that I cant even play it for more then an hr.

And before you say roll a new toon, I have lvled each class to around 40 (except a hunter bleh!) so I have already done that.

Thus the want for a single player game... I might just go back to CS for a bit... used to love that game

Back