• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW! The HONEST reason Home is taking so long. SONY comes clean

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FudgeNuggets

Originally Home, was going to be a big money grab, a greedy shill and marketing ploy...... They decided to trash that idea and actually make it about... GASP!!!! The games. Smart move, SONY. People already think of Sony as second only maybe to Microsoft in terms of greed and evil This would really have ****ed them off (and me too).

http://kotaku.com/388466/reeves-playstation-home-was-deserting-gamers

Probably the 2nd best move Sony has made since the PS3 launch:
1. Price drop
2. Scrapping and redoing Home
3. FINALLY shutting Jack Tretton's mouth. (you thought I had forgotten him)....

I believe Home is Sony's equivalent to Xbox live

after reading this paraphrase from the article:

"In that sense we were deserting gamers. So, we're concentrating on the gaming by launching games in Home, and attracting people who are into gaming in first - instead of the Nike people, or Adidas people who are into fashion and not necessarily into gaming."

I come to the same conclusion. XBOX live already contains advertisements of all sorts. Another payout is from the small downloadable games.

Home...I think I have more enthusiasm for Duke Nukem Forever at this point...

The bottom line is that Sony was looking to make money off of their online venture besides some DLC here and there. If Sony decides to abandon their previous sponsor-laden model, I think it's only a matter of time before they move to some tiered payment system.

In any event, bring me in-game XMB and I could care less what happens to home.

deception``

Home...I think I have more enthusiasm for Duke Nukem Forever at this point...

The bottom line is that Sony was looking to make money off of their online venture besides some DLC here and there. If Sony decides to abandon their previous sponsor-laden model, I think it's only a matter of time before they move to some tiered payment system.

In any event, bring me in-game XMB and I could care less what happens to home.

deception``

Oh, I FULLY expect Sony to take the drug-dealer approach to their online network.... they'll give us a taste, get us hooked and then start charging.

I believe Home is Sony's equivalent to Xbox live

True but like in a Sims type of world 3D chat/gaming with sprites and you get your own 3D Pad to custom improve. There was also a Accomplishements room where any game you've got them for like Devil May Cry 4 you'd get 3D trophies in a room etc.

I couldn't care less about it the only thing I want is in game XBM where you can message, invite & create a chat link with friends like 360. Then more content for the EU like PSone classics and more divX support along the months.

Originally Home, was going to be a big money grab, a greedy shill and marketing ploy...... They decided to trash that idea and actually make it about... GASP!!!! The games. Smart move, SONY. People already think of Sony as second only maybe to Microsoft in terms of greed and evil This would really have ****ed them off (and me too).

http://kotaku.com/388466/reeves-playstation-home-was-deserting-gamers

Probably the 2nd best move Sony has made since the PS3 launch:
1. Price drop
2. Scrapping and redoing Home
3. FINALLY shutting Jack Tretton's mouth. (you thought I had forgotten him)....

Sony's been making a LOT of smart moves lately. (I guess it's to balance-out all the DUMB moves Nintendo has been making.) And delaying Killzone was another good move, otherwise Sony might've punched themselves out in 2008 the way Microsoft did in 2007. I'd also make sure God of War III came out in 2009... or maybe just have it come out Christmas 2008. That would give them an After-Metal Gear.

I have no idea what Nintendo's plans are at this point... "Well... we can maybe drop ANOTHER metroid... or do ANOTHER Zelda... Maybe have the metroid and zelda worlds meet... 'Zelda and Samus at Yoshi's Island'... you think we could sell that?"

Microsoft is simply trying to stay the course. They don't have any problems on the software side... they just have to make the right choices on the hardware side. And that won't be easy the way they've set themselves up with the Core systems out there and everything...

All the companies are going to have a rough time this Christmas. They were in such a hurry to make up ground this year that there's NOTHING coming out over the Holidays. Not a single system seller. NADA. Nintendo will probably make the Wii "rare" again. (Microsoft's dabbled in that lately... according to game mags at least... I've NEVER seen a store that didn't have 360s in stock though). And I don't know what the hell Sony's going to do. After everyone has GTA and MGS4... where do you go from there?

All the companies are going to have a rough time this Christmas. They were in such a hurry to make up ground this year that there's NOTHING coming out over the Holidays. Not a single system seller. NADA. Nintendo will probably make the Wii "rare" again. (Microsoft's dabbled in that lately... according to game mags at least... I've NEVER seen a store that didn't have 360s in stock though). And I don't know what the hell Sony's going to do. After everyone has GTA and MGS4... where do you go from there?

Unlike your alleged Wii-magnetism. I too haven't seen a 360 shortage anywhere from Toronto to Knoxville.

Price drops would be a great selling point for this christmas? I would like to afford an xbox or something...

Unlike your alleged Wii-magnetism. I too haven't seen a 360 shortage anywhere from Toronto to Knoxville.

And you won't! They might try their hand at CREATING a shortage this christmas since no games are out. But it's not like the alledgedly rare wii... Just about everybody at least lives NEXT DOOR to somebody that has a 360. So they aren't going to be able to create the same hype.

Price drops would be a great selling point for this christmas? I would like to afford an xbox or something...

That's basically the only way they're going to be able to sell systems. Maybe Iron Man on Bluray this christmas will sell a few PS3s... or people will pick up a PS3 or something with their HDTV... but there's nothing else that's going to sell a system this christmas. With GTA coming out in APRIL... there's nothing to match it.

Off topic, but I have seen 360's unavailable on amazon once or twice

I think that was just a test run to see what would happen at Christmas. It wouldn't work I don't think. Not for them.

Is the wii still 'rare'? I can't go into a drug store, convenience store, best buy, future shop, microplay, EB Games, computer store, department store, or internet cafe without seeing a Wii. How can Wii outsell everything if there are none to buy?

Is the wii still 'rare'? I can't go into a drug store, convenience store, best buy, future shop, microplay, EB Games, computer store, department store, or internet cafe without seeing a Wii. How can Wii outsell everything if there are none to buy?

Nowhere to be found in the US

But thats the thing. I went down to LV and they were abundant. Then my friend over in Cally mentioned that they were abundant as well... Infact my gamer friend over in england also said that Wiis were aplenty.

In the last 6 months, I have lived in Hamilton, ON and Oak Ridge TN, I have been to Buffalo, NY , Cincinnati, OH and Atlanta GA. I have shopped in each of these cities and have only seen a Wii on the shelf once in a Wal Mart in Hamilton. I stood in line on a cold snowy Sunday morning in Feb of 2007 at a Toys R Us in Buffalo, NY to buy one for myself for my birthday.
http://www.outtastock.com/wii/
http://www.xpbargains.com/wii_locator.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back