• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast gaming build on the cheap...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vaporATX

Hi, I don't often post in these forums... more of a reader. Been a system builder/overclocker for about 10 years. I'm putting together a gaming system for a financially challenged friend and just wanted to get some input/suggestions/criticisms. Here's what I've managed to collect:

Intel D975XBX2 - $76 (ebay - open box new)
E6600 - $85 (bought used from a friend)
mushkin 4-4-4-12 (2x1gb) 2.1v - $35 (ebay - new)
eVGA 7900 GTX 256 - $70 (used - friend)
Sparkle Power Action 700 - $70 (craigslist - slight use)
Zalman CNPS8700 cooler - $30 (new - ebay)

Still need to find him a decent case. Most of the rest I can supply out of my boxes-o-stuff. I got really good prices on most of this stuff, so I can sell off pretty much any of it for a profit if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

The CPU multiplier is locked upward and downward on the xbx2. That kind of sucks, because unless you can get your e6600 up to 3.6 you won't have a 1:1 running at 800 Mhz. I run mine at about 760 Mhz because of it.

I'm only going to go about 3.2 with it. Since you have the board a few questions:

What bios would you suggest? I've read that 2813 is poison. How is the latest (2831). What would you suggest bios wise?

To the other poster about the vid card. What would you suggest that's better than that for 60-70 bucks? I couldn't find anything.

His budget is really only about 350, and I'm already over that. That 7900 is still a pretty respectable card for DX9 games I would think. Only thing I can find in that price range is like a 8600GT and it'll smoke that. He can always pick up an 8800 class card later when the bottom drops out of that market.

I mean I have a E2200 and ****ty low-end Asus board I could basically give him and spend the savings on better video. But that's real garbage, imho. Another nice thing about the current combo is its total compatibility with OSx86 which I planed on installing in a dual boot with XP for him so he can give up his old G3 iBook.

Back