• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blizzard takes Diablo3.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

Well. they didn't take it, it was more given when they asked.

That was on the 30th of april.

i know they are stupid for just giving it away. I would have made them pay money, think about how many hits you would get from that site

I'm sure Blizzard could've spared a couple grand...maybe a couple couple. I mean, it's not like they are making money off any of their games COUGH WOW COUGH.

I woulda got money + reserved beta slots for their upcoming titles. ^^

i know they are stupid for just giving it away. I would have made them pay money, think about how many hits you would get from that site

I'm sure Blizzard could've spared a couple grand...maybe a couple couple. I mean, it's not like they are making money off any of their games COUGH WOW COUGH.

i would have waited till they offered a fair amount before selling that domain, idiots hah oh well.

What you guys are failing to take into account is that all Blizzard would have to do would be to politely remind them that the name Diablo III is a trademark of Blizzard, and that to avoid nasty court dealings they should give it over willingly.

Really? I didn't realize they could do that with domain names.
I would have took them to the ringer in court.
Then counter sued for a bajillion dollars. oh wow they would feel like such jerks getting owned by me.

Yeah someone could have tried to get money out of it but would it really be worth fighting them? Pick your Battles. I think Blizzard is being fair about it and so does the Admin of that site. The Admin was also offered a lot of money over the years for that domain but seem not to care about the money. He might be well off anyways. One thing Blizzard should have done, is bought the name along time ago.

Honestly, the guy was probably 100% correct in just giving the domain name to blizzard.

1 - A court battle could have been started up over this. no way the owners of the website would be able to even have the money to fight back. And even if they did somehow win the court battle, they had BETTER hope the judge also forces blizzard to pay for their legal fee's, or the money they WOULD win, will end up going to the lawyers anyways.

2 - Due to them going to be linked directly from Blizzards website, they will get increased traffic. That means they can use that traffic as an advantage. Slap up some Ad's here an there ( nothing distasteful. But video game ads, Computer store ads..etc..etc.. ) to make some extra money on the side lines. Hell, they could throw up google Ad-sense there as well.

3 - being able to hand out future Beta's will also GREATLY increase their traffic, which they could take advantage of in the way i mentioned above. not to mention, the owner of the site will end up being in almost every blizzard beta from here on out himself.

With enough traffic low, you can find ways to make money from a website. Even if the guy who owns the site made it for Diablo fans, there's still nothing wrong with getting compensated for your time.

Yeah someone could have tried to get money out of it but would it really be worth fighting them? Pick your Battles. I think Blizzard is being fair about it and so does the Admin of that site. The Admin was also offered a lot of money over the years for that domain but seem not to care about the money. He might be well off anyways. One thing Blizzard should have done, is bought the name along time ago.

Yeah they did this for starcraft2.com. There was conspiracy theories and fake images everywhere before they announced WoW and SC Ghost.

Really? I didn't realize they could do that with domain names.
I would have took them to the ringer in court.
Then counter sued for a bajillion dollars. oh wow they would feel like such jerks getting owned by me.

as long as someone own the rights to the name, yes, and i am sure Blizzard can easily prove to a court they have copyrights to diablo, now if a website was hosted that had NOTHING to do with the game, then there could be issues, but if the site has anything related to diablo, a game made by blizzard, the courts would favor in Diablo.

some years back laws were passed, this is why people dont register celebrity named sites now, as the celebrity simply has to ask for it and it is their's, since they own their own name.

Glad to see that this was resolved outside of the court room. Even more happy to see that Blizzard is at least thinking about Diablo III.

I think they've been doing more than thinking about it. About a year ago I remember they had a call for artists and coders for a 'Diablo-esque game' (but it was like, TOTALLY NOT Diablo III. Honest).

Methinks they've been working on it for a while. The only reason they would have to put out a call for coders and artists is due to the fact that Blizzard North got canned after LoD (they went on to make Flagship studios who made the Pseudo-MMO Hellgate: London).

I just pray that Diablo III is close to the same model as Diablo II was, and not some kind of MUMORPUGA. I think I'd honestly cry. Like, real tears. I bloody LOVE Diablo II and turning it into a treadmill that makes you fatter would be a real crime.

This summer is their huge convention, expect an announcement about the game then.

Not to mention starcraft 2 details too :)

as said, i hope D3 is like d2, i hope they dont gooff like a FPS style crap, d2 was whatit was because of how it was..

i also hope they dont make it a WoW type game...

i doubt we will ever see a db2 type game again, even though I also liked that type, its just not how the gaming industry thinks we want it, they think we want a new feel for everything. Like changing Fallout 2 to fallout3, they made it more of a fps as well as a turn based game. I think SC2 is the only game where they kept it the same style but just switched up it from 2d to 3d.

i doubt we will ever see a db2 type game again, even though I also liked that type, its just not how the gaming industry thinks we want it, they think we want a new feel for everything. Like changing Fallout 2 to fallout3, they made it more of a fps as well as a turn based game. I think SC2 is the only game where they kept it the same style but just switched up it from 2d to 3d.

And that's exactly what they should do with Diablo III, keep the original gameplay intact and just make it look prettier with extra classes and a different storyline.

Back