• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.75GHz or 1.80GHz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomicGuY

I've reached the limits of my AthlonXP 1900+ CPU and its running at 47c MAX well under 50c but I've decided that anything @ 50c or higher would kill this chip faster than you could say hot!

So, my final possible CPU setup is:

166.66MHz (333FSB) X 10.5 = 1750MHz

or

150.00MHz (300FSB) X 12.0 = 1800MHz

Which one is gonna be the better one. Can I note that @ 150MHz, I can set the DDR2 @ CL1.3 while when it's @ 166MHz, the Ram must be cut back to CL2, will this cut too much performance??

THX everyone in advance.

AtomicGuY

Down load sisoft sandra and other bench marks and see which one works best, I'm thinking the 150mhz fbs will be better with the faster memory timing.

The options of overclocking a locked CPU are quite limited. Your MB is limiting your success also. The EPOX 8KHA+ is a very versitile and flexable board for OCing. I Unlocked a 1600+ a few weeks ago and can virtually run anything I want and the boeard has an unofficial 1/5 and 1/6 divider which really opens up the possibilities. I am quite lucky as my 1600+ runs most everything I through at it, at stock voltage and 35deg C.

Heres some of my Results .

Higher FSB only helps out the memory bandwidth for the same Mhz

Zazuk said:
Down load sisoft sandra and other bench marks and see which one works best, I'm thinking the 150mhz fbs will be better with the faster memory timing.

I agree - another metod is to run a couple of cycles of SETI or another number crunching proggy and see what's faster

Yo

Depends on what ya do with yer rig. Yes, do some benchies and see which gives ya the best results. Generally, with a higher fsb you'll get improved performance in many app's(specifically gaming) but will usually get better crunching performance(F@H,SETI etc.) with the higher multi.
Play around and find your happy medium :D

i wouldent nessisarily say 50 would kill the chip... mine runs up to 52C at times with no problems

I've decided that anything @ 50c or higher would kill this chip faster than you could say hot!

ok I'm not really in the same leauge with my [email protected] Thunderchicken but one time I had a core temp of 60 (when my BIOS shut down the computer as a precausion)

I have been running really cool (after I got a few fans and my kick arse Swiftech MCX462, and of course my computer is right next to the door so it recieves a good cold draft) ever since and my Athlon seems fine....

Just MHO

bobt17 said:
i wouldent nessisarily say 50 would kill the chip... mine runs up to 52C at times with no problems

My tbird has hit 53C without problems, and I've seen a 1200 tbird run stable at 62C, as well as an XP1500+ at 57 C.

You said you can run either 10.5x166 OR 12x150. So I assumed you've unlocked your CPU. Well, if your CPU is unlocked and you can run 1800 MHz. Why not run it at 11x163 for 1793 Mhz. This would give you the best compromise between Mult and FSB.

DJ2000 said:
The options of overclocking a locked CPU are quite limited. Your MB is limiting your success also. The EPOX 8KHA+ is a very versitile and flexable board for OCing. I Unlocked a 1600+ a few weeks ago and can virtually run anything I want and the boeard has an unofficial 1/5 and 1/6 divider which really opens up the possibilities. I am quite lucky as my 1600+ runs most everything I through at it, at stock voltage and 35deg C.

Heres some of my Results .

Higher FSB only helps out the memory bandwidth for the same Mhz
jesus the becnhies are great... when i had my xp1600 oc'ed to 1743 my memory scores were at 404 mb a second on a shuttle rev 3 board...i have no idea nor do i undersand what the cl rate 2is, can someone explain it to me and tell me how to optimize this??

Back