• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these CPUs is right for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndMir92

Hello everybody :). I am new to this forum, and I have just recently decided to build my own computer so I have spent the last several weeks looking here, at newegg, and other forums for the right parts. I just don't know if I should get a dual or quad core. My options (budget is about $250) are the Q6600 Go stepping for $220 @ newegg, the Intel dual core E6850 (little under $200), and the Intel dual core E8400 (a little under $200). I have read that if you're a gamer, you should stick with dual core and that a lot or apps don't have quad core support. But I think my situation might be different. I'm not a gamer (the only game I have is Fritz 11, a chess game). Here is what type of apps I will run:
-Photoshop
-VMware
-Microsoft Word
-Firefox
-Video Converters
-Lots of antivirus/spyware apps
-Only one game : Fritz 11 (chess)
-Itunes

And I also will multitask with many of the above and more (like with yahoo messenger). I want a CPU that will give me the best performance for what I want to do. And if I get the Q6600, I plan on Overclocking it to 3.3 or 3.5 GHz. Likewise, if I end up getting a dual core, I will overclock that to what is normally done (I don't know what that is yet). So can anyone tell me what I should get and why?

I have also wondered: if i overclock the Q6600 to 3.5 GHz, how does that compare to other intel quad cores. By that, I mean, will that become as good as something that is $500, $700+, or below $400? For example, with some adjustments in the FSB, maybe the multiplier, and the voltage, couldn't I make it like the Q9300 because they seem similar in every other respect?

And If I choose the Q6600, should I get the open box version for 190?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm hoping you will help out a beginner.

Thanks a lot,

Andrey

PS If you want more info, I will be glad to provide it

video conversion = Quadcore wins that one.
Av. meh either will work
firefox again dont mater
word same thing
photoshop not sure what the dif would really be

basicly anything that has to Decode ect the Quad will work better(should).

for games ect the Dual will probably be just as good or better if its higher GHz.

A cooler is going to cost you. so ya id probably go open box and order a solid cooler with the difference $ and oc it.

as far as OCing goes. it all depends on how much OC you get out of the Q6600 some are good some dont oc nearly aswell .. a good place to start is get a good cooler on it in the first place...

GL

video conversion = Quadcore wins that one.
Av. meh either will work
firefox again dont mater
word same thing
photoshop not sure what the dif would really be

This is my version =)

Video Conv: Quad
AV: c2d/c2q
Word: Pentium 3
Firefox: Pentium 4
Photoshop: C2D/Video card

Thanks for the reply's. But overall, would I find better performance with a Q6600 @ 3.3GHz-3.5GHz or an E8400 @ 4GHz with my needs? I have sort of decided to take the E8650 out of the running. Looking at others' setups, it seems split between the 2, both of which are popular.

BTW, since I am not a gamer, would the XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229 be the best "bang for buck"?

Thanks a lot,

Andrey

Back