• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan wiring question - Pictures inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evomac

I just received my YL's for my radiator. Problem with them is they are overloaded with wires. Off the fan it goes to a 3 pin connector (which is what I plan to use) and then off to a M / F molex (which I have no intention using) Question is, what is the best way to get rid of the molex portion of the cable.

I'd like to avoid soldering if at all possible, since that is one thing I can truly say I'm horrid at. Since I plan on sleeving all of my fan cables I was thinking about picking up that Sunbeam kit that has 4 tools, 1 being a fan remover. I figure that would be easier then trying to juggle paper clips (ala opening the 360 case style).

How would you guys handle getting rid of the cable with the Molex, without soldering.

Thanks in advance
-Evomac

2491053021_c6a9173936.jpg

2491871458_ae00146af8.jpg

yeah if you just cut the molex of it will be fine wou can use a bit of non conductive paste or heatshrink on the exposed ends or just freeball it i got a few live wires as some might call it in my case

yeah if you just cut the molex of it will be fine wou can use a bit of non conductive paste or heatshrink on the exposed ends or just freeball it i got a few live wires as some might call it in my case

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

umm uhh wow.

Ok please dont do the above. That is just asking for a bunch of magic smoke to be released.

Solder
Soldering iron
heatshrink or e-tape if in dire need.

Spend 5 minutes to do it right and you wont get burnt, spend 30 seconds doing it wrong and it can get expensive.

Snip the molex off and use heatshrink to cover each of the exposed wires separately. DO NOT COVER BOTH WIRES TOGETHER!

If you snip too close to the 3pin, you'll have exposed wires extremely close to eachother. This will make it hard to cover and all you need is a slight move of the wires to fry something.

I gotta cuncur with Adragontattoo.

So if I were to snip and strip the molex cable. Then shrink each wire separately it would be ok to toss it into a sleeve and forget about it?

I'm not trying to half-a*s it at all, I just know my skills with a soldering iron... and I'm horrid at it. I've tried reading just about every guide on soldering and it still didn't help. When I had to attach wire to a charge connector for my RC car, it took about 2 hours and nearly half a roll of solder before I could get two wires to stay connected. This was on a decent sized connector too, so forget it with a fine point solder like this would require.

If heatshrink is safe enough to use on it, I'll just take the time and put a small piece over the exposed wire and sleeve it with the rest of the cable.

I was actually thinking about picking up this. So you are saying that you don't think the wires are soldered together inside of the 3 pin clip? If so, that would be ideal. I could then just open the casing, pull out the molex wire, replace the clip, and then sleeve as normal.

They are probable soldered, but I think you should be able to safely remove the wire you don't need without too much difficulty.

E

most cables are crimped in their connectors, not soldered.
I'd remove the pins from the 3 pin, and snip then right at the metal edge, the snipped off wire doesnt even stick out of the 3 pin block that way, no way that they are gonna touch, and 2 minutes of work total.

I was actually thinking about picking up this. So you are saying that you don't think the wires are soldered together inside of the 3 pin clip? If so, that would be ideal. I could then just open the casing, pull out the molex wire, replace the clip, and then sleeve as normal.

You could spend $16+ shipping on all that or you could just cut the wires, electrical tape the indvidual ends, then electrical tape the cut wires to the others. If you do a clean job with the tape, you can bypass sleeving them. It seems like you're trying to make this harder than it actually is.

Axis

You could spend $16+ shipping on all that or you could just cut the wires, electrical tape the indvidual ends, then electrical tape the cut wires to the others. If you do a clean job with the tape, you can bypass sleeving them. It seems like you're trying to make this harder than it actually is.

Axis

Not sleeving isn't a option. Regardless of how I wire the fans, I'd like them to be sleeved. If anything for the neatness factor. I have bought all the wiring that I need, but I might wind up just buying a spool of wire and giving it a shot myself.

However there won't be 1 cable in the build that isn't sleeved. Heck I just spent $180 on a PSU just because I liked how it was sleeved. I'm sort of picky when it comes to neatness and plain wires != neat.

Back