• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

here is a odd one for the pro's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
my co-worker has a 780i with a QX9650 , 9800GX2 X2 in SLI. hes got
4x1gb OCZ SLI DDR2 sticks <--- i have a feeling this can cause some of the issues .

anyways so hes been trying to oc his processor and he can run perfectly fine @ 3.2 ghz ..up to 1445mhz. When he Bumps this thing past 1445 even 5mhz to 1450mhz it will not boot AT all.. i tryed some things to make it boot and its a WALL man .. mcp increase got it past post but thats it still locking up in windows load. every other voltage looks good for it.

ive heard these QX9650 dont use nearly as much Vcore as my Q6600 so i didnt tip it over 1.30 but it should atleast boot at that. infact there is no real reason i can think of why it would go from 100% stable to 100% fail no boot in 5mhz increase.

is there a wall that i dont know about.. its very odd indeed.

QX has the multi unlocked... bump that instead.
I can boot to 1600 mhz FSB fine on mine though, no wall on the one I've got.

see your on the 790i arnt you..
i dont think its a cpu thing tbh.. it almost seems like the board locks up the pc. really hard to diagnose.

Pull two sticks out and see if it'll boot for ya. :)

I must ask though, what kind of display is the guy gaming on to need two 9800GX2 in SLI? ... a 52" LCD @ 1080p? :D

he just likes to spend $ me thinks.

to be honest i think he did it as a you know what measuring contest winner.

e-penis anyone hah?

I must ask though, what kind of display is the guy gaming on to need two 9800GX2 in SLI? ... a 52" LCD @ 1080p? :D

Size is irrelevant :)

400FSB should be no sweat for the 780i though, I'd try the ram in different slots/ removed.

When he Bumps this thing past 1445 even 5mhz to 1450mhz it will not boot AT all

Same thing on 680i boards, basically there are FSB 'holes'. Try higher (and by higher I mean alot higher) but keep the CPU speed in the voltage/cooling ballpark by adjusting the multi. You can also effect boot succes by adjusting ram settings, ie linked/unlinked. I have not tried this board but there must be some other tricks you can use in these situations, find someone else running this board and pick their brain.

basically there are FSB 'holes

this is what it was.. and slight Vcore but after he went higher.. it started to boot and i could actually adjust the vcore properly to make it stable.

hes running it 3.8 on air right now. i showed him the basic's im sure he will have it 400x10 shortly.

thanks guys

Back