• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csplinter

Registered
I'm in the fortunate position of having just bought a q6600, while at work I have access to around a dozen dells all with q6600s. This means I will be able to cherry pick the best overclocker, and trade it out with the one I bought. The only problem is, I have no interest in sitting around for 10 hours experimenting with different configurations. I need a method for quickly comparing these chips. Something like ntune would be wonderful, as I don't care to see the maximum potential of each chip, I only need a consistent and accurate way to find the best one relative to the rest. I'll be testing with a DFI lanparty dk p35-t2rs, so I don't think ntune is an option. What software/method can I use to avoid the tedious process of configuring, stress testing, rebooting?

the lowest vid is a good way they seem to run cooler and clock better check with coretemp
Rich
btw welcome to the forums

Thanks for the warm welcome. What does vid stand for exactly? Would I need to use the same motherboard to get consistent results from each chip?

Any other ideas, this sounds like a good plan, I just want to know all my options.

Last edited:
Download cpu-z, it will tell you ;)
Edit: the voltage the cpu runs at.

Not quite correct, CPUz give you the voltage the CPU is set at to recieve based on bios settings, download coretemp and look above where the temps are displayed, you'll see where it says VID.

Any VID lower than 1.25 will yield you at least 3.8 Ghz without much effort. This is not a guarentee off course so YMMV :)

*Edit...VID is the minimum voltage the CPU needs to run at stock speeds and is very indicative of the CPU's OC potential

Last edited:
When I ran coretemp on one of the dells to find the vid at 1.125 I almost s*** myself, then to my dismay, the vid changed to 1.325. What exactly do I need to do to get a good reading?

When I ran coretemp on one of the dells to find the vid at 1.125 I almost s*** myself, then to my dismay, the vid changed to 1.325. What exactly do I need to do to get a good reading?

If you have speedstep enabled it will give you a false low reading, disable it and you'll get the true VID, I think it is fair to say that yours is 1.325v...sorry :(

If you have speedstep enabled it will give you a false low reading, disable it and you'll get the true VID, I think it is fair to say that yours is 1.325v...sorry :(

No big deal, it's just one of many. Anyway, I've decided now that I've researched it more, I don't think I can count on using the vid values to judge the overclockability of these chips. I'm afraid I'll get one that would surely last a long time, but hit a barrier at a low frequency. So, once again, I'm on the lookout for windows software that will help me automatically stress test and overclock these chips.

Back