• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB wall on lower end CPUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with a Conroe-L Celeron lately and I swear it is the CPU holding me back from 400fsb. Is that normal on a lower end CPU? I have heard of CPUs (like E4300's, E2140's, etc.) that won't do 500fsb, but 400? I know it's not the motherboard as I've now tried two. I can boot just fine at 345x10 (3.45ghz), but not at 400x7 (2.8ghz). Ram is not an issue as it is PC2-8500 running 1:1 at loose timings. Could this CPU really be limited to around 350fsb?

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.

-Collin-

On most of the Conroe-L chips I've had there was an fsb wall right around 400, some were way lower :-/

Thanks, that actually makes me happy. I thought I was really doing something wrong because all my other chips could do 500+. I was thinking that with less cache and only one core, the Celeron would be a FSB monster! Seems that I just had a rude awakening :bang head

-Collin-

pad moding the cpu can get around the fsb walls on some cpu's. it has to do with the defualt cpu fsb strap. yes my celeron-L has a higher fsb, its currently at 400mhz, i didnt go any higher though. 3.2ghz is fast enough, all i do now is surf and fold/seti.

Back