• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking causing artifacts despite low temperatures?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sear

Registered
So I've had my ASUS EN8800GT (non-factory overclocked version) running at 675/1900 for the last several months, and I've noticed artifacts recently with a couple of games; however, these only happen in what appears to be a specific instance. Basically, sometimes when I'm playing a game (I've only seen it in Oblivion and BioShock so far), the game will sometimes freeze, pause, or stutter for a few seconds; when it stops, certain textures will appear corrupted, though there's no snowflakes or anything like that.

I've turned down my overclock and haven't noticed the problem yet (to be fair, it's only happened three times or so), but what confuses me is that my temperatures seem to be very constant, and aren't even two degrees higher than stock speeds while overclocked. I also have the fan speed overridden, so it stays at 50% idle, 80% past 65 degrees, etc. Is it possible to get graphics artifacts with an overclock even when temperatures are well within the acceptable range?

Note that I'm using the 175.70 beta drivers, though if memory serves I had the first instance of artifacting while using the 175.16 beta drivers (haven't tried WHQL). Could this be a driver-related or even system-related problem instead of an overclocking one?

You could be at 20C and you'd still get artifacts if you set the clocks too high :)

You could be at 20C and you'd still get artifacts if you set the clocks too high :)
Meh, it's just that everything I've read has indicated that even 700 Mhz is a save overclock for this card. The difference between 650 Mhz and 675 Mhz is almost imperceptible (1 fps if that), but I'm not sure why my card alone would decide to be temperamental.

Meh, it's just that everything I've read has indicated that even 700 Mhz is a save overclock for this card. The difference between 650 Mhz and 675 Mhz is almost imperceptible (1 fps if that), but I'm not sure why my card alone would decide to be temperamental.

My GT couldn't hit 700, it maxed at 690, and even that was shaky..

invisguns.png

This was at stock card speeds with absolutely the lowest graphics settings a while back. There's no accounting for fidgety cards.

looks like somew futuristic game

no 2 cards are the same, most people may get 700, but i am sure there are man who dont also.

I've turned down my overclock and haven't noticed the problem yet (to be fair, it's only happened three times or so)

3 times too many, if it's not stable at only 25MHz over it's rated clock speed I'd stress test the card, probably got an error or two. Then send it back for RMA

Stock is 600/1500/900 on 8800GTs..

Unless its a OCed version.

My "stock" 600/1500/900 came to me as a 650/1625/950 card. From there I could OC it to 720/1824/999 no issues without Vmods. Bios Vmod I can take her to 784/1998/999 benchable and gaming just a slight tweak down from that.

I had it running earlier at 650, but still had issues. Thinking it might indeed be a driver problem, I reverted back to 175.16 (had been using the 175.70 betas) and now I have no issues.

So I've had my ASUS EN8800GT (non-factory overclocked version) running at 675/1900 for the last several months

Unless its a OCed version.

My "stock" 600/1500/900 came to me as a 650/1625/950 card. From there I could OC it to 720/1824/999 no issues without Vmods. Bios Vmod I can take her to 784/1998/999 benchable and gaming just a slight tweak down from that.

Err, stock for an 8800GT is indeed 600/1500/900.. And there is wide variability in how well they OC. It's not rare to find an 8800GT that can't hit 700 core..

Back