• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS update PROBLEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WorshipMe

*Gulp* I was updating my BIOS to enable support for my E8400 which is due to arrive tomorrow. I used the ASUSupdate OS-based utility and a USB flash drive because I couldn't be bothered to reboot etc etc. The old BIOS was erased and the new one was copied but could not be "verified". I know all too well what a ****ed up BIOS flash can do so by now I'm thinking "Oh ****, oh ****" I reboot to try to flash again but it doesn't POST and continues in a cycle of powering down and rebooting. I've tried pretty much the only thing that came to mind and reset the BIOS. I never had much hope of that working which of course it didn't.

Right before my E8400 arrives too. :bang head

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Bad flash = dead board

I had an AW9D-Max die the exact same way, had to replace the BIOS chip. I tried to hot-flash the chip (don't try that please) and could not get it to flash, it was a dud chip :-/

Check the board and see if you can replace the BIOS chip, that will be the easies thing besides RMA'ing the board.

I thought as much...

I'll speak to ASUS tomorrow and see what they say.

Rule number 1: Never flash your BIOS in the windows environment.

Guess I learned the hard way. I have always flashed the BIOS without booting into the OS. I am furious with myself that I didn't do the same this time. I would have saved myself so much trouble...

EDIT: Hang on a second...

I'm going to give ASUS's BIOS recovery utility a try. But is there any way I can get my system out of this continuous reboot cycle? so it will recogize the BIOS file on the USB flash disk

Last edited:
I had the EXACT same issue happen to me with my P5k, nothing fixed it, even the recovery option. I had to RMA it...its sad when it happens but a quick lesson...

+1 for never flashing in windows...

Not that it helps but I have Updated my Asus BIOS through the OS at least 6 times and never had it fail.

I have always been careful to turn every thing running off.:shrug:

You are unplugging the power cord to get it to reset itself correct?

I reset the CMOS settings, removed everything not needed for POST, and tried to recover but no luck.

I also did a lot of Googling and it seems many people have had the exact same problem as me with the P5K series and they've all had to RMA.

The site I bought the board from is usually quite good with returns so I'm hoping I'll get it by the end of the week.

i donno, i dont think saving the extra 30 seconds and flashing through windows vs. EZFlash in the bios is worth the risk

Unless a guns pointed at your head, I think you could handle restarting your computer to flash hahaha jk

i like to set defualts then flash with ezflash then clear cmos then set defualts again reboot then setup bios as you like big pain but it works well
Rich

Back