• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue screened during a game, what shall i do.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hi guys,

Well I havn't had any issues with my over clock until right now.

I was in the middle of an epic battle in age of the empires III: Asian dynasty's when the game just crashed(about 50 mins). I got a blue screen of death and it talked about a memory dump of some sort.

It can't be my memory because I'm actually under clocking them. They are suppose to run at 1066 but instead i put the ram multiplier to 2, so they are running 1:1 and only at 800 to keep this overclock stable.

I over clocked my e8400 to 3.6 @ 1.26V core, what should I do to make this more stable? Give it more voltages or should I add voltages to other areas?

I'm using everything i have in my signature.

Thanks!

EDIT:
After running primer 95 it said the following:
[May 19 06:39] Work thread starting
[May 19 06:39] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[May 19 06:39] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[May 19 06:39] Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using FFT length 1024K.
[May 19 06:42] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[May 19 06:42] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[May 19 06:42] Torture Test ran 2 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
[May 19 06:42] Work thread stopped.

So my 2nd core died that fast! wowsa, I guess this overclock wasn't stable at all.
Any recommendations on how to stabilize this would be great.
It will boot into windows fine, and I was playing games fine until now.
Probably because AOE3 is really CPU intensive when alot of things are on the map at the same time.

Currently my clock settings are, I made the ram 1:1 so its only running at 800
I increased the voltage to 1.26 (anything lower and it would blue screen when windows started or it wouldn't start at all)
Kept everything else the same.
I updated the Bios to the newst version as well (before the update on the BIOS i couldn't even overclock this processor at all)

Last edited:
Hmmm, I dunno. 3.6Ghz should be a cakewalk. How about clearing the cmos/bios, set optimized defaults and start over?

Did you set default timings/voltage to the ram?

Well the RAM actually was 5-7-7-20 in the BIOS
so I manually set it to 5-5-5-15 (which it was suppose to be in the first place)
I didn't adjust the RAM voltage though, i left it the same.

WHen I updated the BIOS i did all of that, started from scratch.

I think i need to some how stablize my ram maybe?

thanks i'll bump it up alittle and see what happens.

My ram is rated at 2.1V
and when I check my CPUID hardware monitor it says:
1.90V
hm....could this be an issue?
if so, what would I change the voltage to in my bios to make it 2.1? I think they have .1, .2, and .3

After checking in the bios it says the DDR is running at 1.888V

I tried to up the voltage to 1.27V and it still fails after the first stress test, and this is only 3.6 on the e8400 it shouldn't even be an issue so something is screwed up
should my ram be reading 2.1V in the bios not 1.8V?

Last edited:
Set your ram voltage to 2.1 in bios. You're undervolting the ram.. Also bump up the vcore a notch or 2 as inkfx mentioned, but do the ram voltage first, then see if it'll be stable.

Thanks Nebulous,
I'm confused though it won't let me directly change the RAM voltage. It only allows me to do the following setttings I said (+.1,.2,.3,.4,.5) the .3 and .4 are pink and the .5 is blinking red (so i'm assuming its dangerous), it only lets me directly set the VCORE voltage directly, not the ram voltage. I remember someone saying to use .3 to make it 2.1 is this right?

Hi guys,

Well I havn't had any issues with my over clock until right now.

I was in the middle of an epic battle in age of the empires III: Asian dynasty's when the game just crashed(about 50 mins). I got a blue screen of death and it talked about a memory dump of some sort.

It can't be my memory because I'm actually under clocking them. They are suppose to run at 1066 but instead i put the ram multiplier to 2, so they are running 1:1 and only at 800 to keep this overclock stable.

I over clocked my e8400 to 3.6 @ 1.26V core, what should I do to make this more stable? Give it more voltages or should I add voltages to other areas?

I'm using everything i have in my signature.

Thanks!

EDIT:
After running primer 95 it said the following:
[May 19 06:39] Work thread starting
[May 19 06:39] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[May 19 06:39] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[May 19 06:39] Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using FFT length 1024K.
[May 19 06:42] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[May 19 06:42] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[May 19 06:42] Torture Test ran 2 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
[May 19 06:42] Work thread stopped.

So my 2nd core died that fast! wowsa, I guess this overclock wasn't stable at all.
Any recommendations on how to stabilize this would be great.
It will boot into windows fine, and I was playing games fine until now.
Probably because AOE3 is really CPU intensive when alot of things are on the map at the same time.

Currently my clock settings are, I made the ram 1:1 so its only running at 800
I increased the voltage to 1.26 (anything lower and it would blue screen when windows started or it wouldn't start at all)
Kept everything else the same.
I updated the Bios to the newst version as well (before the update on the BIOS i couldn't even overclock this processor at all)

It's almost certainly your ram... which is funny: When think of RAM problems like this I expect to see "Ballistix" in the person's sig.

Anyway... G. Skill has a good exchange policy. Call them up and send them in.

thanks rainless and inkfx well I don't want to be without a computer so I want to make sure its the ram before sending it back in.

If it was faulty ram wouldn't it keep from booting up and fail on memtest?
I reverted back to default settings and @ 3ghz with optimized defaults and it runs through the prime95 just fine.

I'll do +.3 and see if it fixes the issue, but still is strange if its the ram it should also screw up on stock evertyhing correct during a stress test like prime95 correct?

Back