• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 280/260 Specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

DailyTech.com posted the specs for nvidia's next gen cards:

DailyTech.com said:
The GTX 280 enables all features of the D10U processor; the GTX 260 version will consist of a significantly cut-down version of the same GPU. The D10U-30 will enable all 240 unified stream processors designed into the processor. NVIDIA documentation claims these second-generation unified shaders perform 50 percent better than the shaders found on the D9 cards released earlier this year.

The main difference between the two new GeForce GTX variants revolves around the number of shaders and memory bus width. Most importantly, NVIDIA disables 48 stream processors on the GTX 260. GTX 280 ships with a 512-bit memory bus capable of supporting 1GB GDDR3 memory; the GTX 260 alternative has a 448-bit bus with support for 896MB.

GTX 280 and 260 add virtually all of the same features as GeForce 9800GTX: PCIe 2.0, OpenGL 2.1, SLI and PureVideoHD. The company also claims both cards will support two SLI-risers for 3-way SLI support.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11842

:drool:

When people actually care, because I sure don't.

Hell DX9 is still mostly a way better performer than DX10 (even if it does have a little bit better lighting).

Specs look really nice, I'm prepared for a giant sticker price though.

The D10U-30 will enable all 240 unified stream processors designed into the processor. NVIDIA documentation claims these second-generation unified shaders perform 50 percent better than the shaders found on the D9 cards released earlier this year.

Ok, so not only does it have almost double the shaders, but they work 50% better. Does that mean that this card could theoretically perform at 300% the speed of an 8800GTS/9800GTX?

Ok, so not only does it have almost double the shaders, but they work 50% better. Does that mean that this card could theoretically perform at 300% the speed of an 8800GTS/9800GTX?

Doubt it.

I hope we get a 7900 -> 8800 jump in performance though

Heh, I guess without the incentive to develop 10.1 no one will catch onto it...
so I'm sticking to 9c for a while longer.

Woah, massive jump in shader speed.

My 8800GT has 112 unified shaders, the GTX280 has over twice as many and they perform 50% faster, I doubt we'll see a 300% increase, but it will be big. I would like to see the stock core speed of the GTX280 though.

Hopefully we'll be seeing voltmodded cards doing 1GHz core speeds :)

These cards are also not the GT200 core, that'll probably come out around Christmas?

Really though, besides Crysis, which game NEEDS so much GPU horsepower? Any upcoming titles coming to mind besides Far Cry 2?

With the recent trend seen in the cards I wonder how big this card will be (dimensions). Are the pics shown in the other thread accurate and final?

These two ought to be very expensive and GTX 260 seems to be more than enough for people wanting to save money.

When the 88 Ultra came out, wasn't it like $800 or something stupid?

Again, what games will make use of this card besides crysis?

Really though, besides Crysis, which game NEEDS so much GPU horsepower? Any upcoming titles coming to mind besides Far Cry 2?

You need a bigger monitor. :)

on an 8800GT at 950/650 I still can't run CS:S at max settings/max AA/AF on a 30". On the 24" it's fine on most maps.

I don't game enough to warrant one of these, but if I did, yeah.

To give you an idea UT3 at max settings on a 30" with this card is well, well, below slideshow material. Think four second delay! :O

Y
on an 8800GT at 950/650 I still can't run CS:S at max settings/max AA/AF on a 30". On the 24" it's fine on most maps.
To give you an idea UT3 at max settings on a 30" with this card is well, well, below slideshow material. Think four second delay! :O

I'm not sure I believe you. :)
Why would going from a 24 to a 30 make a difference if the resolution is the same?
What proc do you have? With the rig below I can max UT3 at 1920*1200 on my 24 no problem. CS:S? You gotta be kidding.

I'm not sure I believe you. :)
Why would going from a 24 to a 30 make a difference if the resolution is the same?
What proc do you have? With the rig below I can max UT3 at 1920*1200 on my 24 no problem. CS:S? You gotta be kidding.

24" = 1920x1200=2304000 pixels, 30" = 2560x1600=4096000 pixels.

24" = 1920x1200=2304000 pixels, 30" = 2560x1600=4096000 pixels.

there aren't any 30" 1080p screens? or 1920x1200 30" screens? that's what the guy was inferring that you quoted, if the resolution is the same then the amount of pixels being processed is the same regardless of the screen size

obviously if you're using a higher resolution screen, then the higher resolution screen is going to require more GPU power than the lower resolution screen

shaders are only one part of the process. So no. The shaders processes might be 300% faster but the rest of the card will not be so overall you might get only a 100% increase (but thats doubtful 8800s are still very powerful cards)

there aren't any 30" 1080p screens? or 1920x1200 30" screens? that's what the guy was inferring that you quoted, if the resolution is the same then the amount of pixels being processed is the same regardless of the screen size

obviously if you're using a higher resolution screen, then the higher resolution screen is going to require more GPU power than the lower resolution screen

Judging by the fact that he said it struggles at 30" and works OK at 24" I am assuming he has the most common resolutions for those monitor sizes. If it was a 30" 1080p set, he would be running it better than on the 24".....

Yes, running the game at the same resolution requires the same power. Thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes:

Back