• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3870 x2 is heating up the northbrigde!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattatwar

Registered
hi guys!! ive just build my first pc!! my 3870 x2 is heating my northbrigde to 46c!! any ideas how to help me!!! ive got a asus rampage motherboard, e8400 cpu, tunqi tower cooling it all in a p182 case with all the fans it needs! please help!! did think tp myself i could try to put a peice of card on top of the gpu's to stop the heat from raising on the northbrigde. haha

You got plenty of EXHAUST fans?

yeah 2 at the top!! its just that the top of the card is real close to the nb heatsink!! wat if a try moving the card down to the the secong pci e slot?? should still work the same shouldnt it???

yeah 2 at the top!! its just that the top of the card is real close to the nb heatsink!! wat if a try moving the card down to the the secong pci e slot?? should still work the same shouldnt it???

Im not sure on that one, primary pcie is always the top one, but if theyre both at the same speed, it might not change anything really. im sure trying it won't hurt too bad, if the computer doesnt work that way put it back. :p

46C is starting to get hot, but i don't think that kinda temp is anything to fret over. Does it reach this temp after typical usage on the computer? or is it an idle temp?

how is the air flow in the case? there could be dead spots with no airflow. Could you explain how your intake/exhaust fans are set up?
IE in my case i have a 120mm in front and on the bottom of side panel pulling air in, 2x 80mm fans in the rear exhausting, and since I'm using a koolance case, the radiator and dual 120mm fans are on the top.

Im not sure on that one, primary pcie is always the top one, but if theyre both at the same speed, it might not change anything really. im sure trying it won't hurt too bad, if the computer doesnt work that way put it back. :p

46C is starting to get hot, but i don't think that kinda temp is anything to fret over. Does it reach this temp after typical usage on the computer? or is it an idle temp?

how is the air flow in the case? there could be dead spots with no airflow. Could you explain how your intake/exhaust fans are set up?
IE in my case i have a 120mm in front and on the bottom of side panel pulling air in, 2x 80mm fans in the rear exhausting, and since I'm using a koolance case, the radiator and dual 120mm fans are on the top.

46c is just idle!! i fort it was the card making it hot but i flet the card and it aint that hot!! wat voltage should my nb b?? ive got it on auto in bios???

hi guys!! ive just build my first pc!! my 3870 x2 is heating my northbrigde to 46c!! any ideas how to help me!!! ive got a asus rampage motherboard, e8400 cpu, tunqi tower cooling it all in a p182 case with all the fans it needs! please help!! did think tp myself i could try to put a peice of card on top of the gpu's to stop the heat from raising on the northbrigde. haha

hi'

get an antec spotcool, with it's direct flow on the NB, pushing away the heat coming up from the video card, you'll notice at least -4°c ;)

i686

wat if a try moving the card down to the the secong pci e slot?? should still work the same shouldnt it???

This is what I did with my DFI X48 and 8800GTS. The GTS was too close to the NB HS to get good air to it, so I moved it down to the next PCIE X16 slot and all is fine. 3DM06 scores didnt change at all.

Axis

This is what I did with my DFI X48 and 8800GTS. The GTS was too close to the NB HS to get good air to it, so I moved it down to the next PCIE X16 slot and all is fine. 3DM06 scores didnt change at all.

Axis

i dnt think it is the card cos it dnt seem to produce that much heat!!

what heatsink do you have on it? and what is its load temp? can you get a fan on or near it?

What motherboard do you have?

as for you heat issues i would take off the stock heatsink(s) then replace the TIM to arctic silver 5 or other good thermal pastes.

mine dropped 10C when i did that.

i dnt think it is the card cos it dnt seem to produce that much heat!!

The heat from the card may not be directly causing the problem but it absolutely could be blocking airflow to your NB HS. In any case, it's worth a try. Also, what voltage do you have running through your NB?

Axis

The heat from the card may not be directly causing the problem but it absolutely could be blocking airflow to your NB HS. In any case, it's worth a try. Also, what voltage do you have running through your NB?

Axis

ive got a tunqi tower on the cpu!! could that be the cause?? i havent chage the voltage at all. just auto in bios!

Back