• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Mobo without reloading Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

I picked up an Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard, to replace my P5W DH.

While I'm somewhat familiar with the process of the repair install on XP when you change mobos, I've never done this in Vista.

A couple questions:

Is is possible to swap out a 975x chipset for the X38 chipset without reinstalling Vista?

Yep, I know I will have to call M$ and re-activate Vista. :mad: At least it's a nice opportunity to speak with people who are practicing their english.

I'm leery (to say the least) of Asus software. Should I install the drivers on the DVD that came with the board, or can Vista find/load drivers on it's own? Or are their other drivers I could use?

Any useful advice to prevent a BSOD would be appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Nope.
Code:
 Yep, I know I will have to call M$ and re-activate Vista.

Guess you already know then ;)

As for mobo drivers, use the ones that came with the mobo's disk. Once you reinstall Vista, then update the drivers from Asus' site.

Hi Nebulous. Thanks for the response.

You misunderstand, in some cases in XP, swapping out Mobo's with different chipsets results in BSOD. The workaround is a repair install.

The activation issue is separate, and just a licensing hassle.

I'm asking about chipset driver conflicts in Vista. I don't really want to reload Vista if I can avoid it.

Anyone else? The implication here is that I can swap out the mobo without troubles?

Hmmm, maybe, maybe not. Both chipsets are intel, so you should'nt have a problem, but don't quote me.

I would just go for it. Worse that can happen is you'll have to do a repair/clean install of vista.

Thank you! I'm sure I'll revive this thread if something goes Terribly Wrong.

Is is possible to swap out a 975x chipset for the X38 chipset without reinstalling Vista?

Yes. I have done this many times in the past.

1. BACKUP YOUR DATA.
2. Depending on the chipsets (ICHx), the drivers installed MAY be compatible.
3. If the chipsets are not compatible, the easiest way is to find your SATA storage driver in device manager, upgrade/downgrade the specific driver BEFORE you reboot and replace the hardware.

Viola! :D:thup:

I have never had a problem doing this with XP or Vista. What I always do is DL the latest INF update though, and run it on the old system before I upgrade. I don't know if it helps or not, but i've switched motherboards as many as 4 times on a single install without hassle.

I just did the same with Vista 64, and all went well.

Thank you very much chawks2 and Category 5 :)

Maximus Formula is in.

It's always something y'know? One of the plastic pins on the Ninja Rev. B heatsink jammed after I removed it. It appeared to work fine, but one the pins will not go in, no matter how hard I pushed.

Good excuse to get a Copper Ninja :sn:

Assembly and disassembly went pretty smooth, and it posted on the first try :) Only seeing one of the hardrives though, and no MBR. Done with it tonight.

Edit: I think it's a bad cable. I had to tweek one of the SATA cables pretty hard to fit it into the space. But the Copper Ninja surrounded by the beautiful copper heatsinks on the Maximus... Sweeet. Hopefull will have her up and running tonight and posting some benchmarks! 4 Ghz here I come! :beer:

Last edited:
Just an update.

So, no love for oakstave. After a total tear down to check wires, replace wires, and double and triple check everything, I finally found out why I it wouldn't load Vista.

Dead Harddrive. My Seagate Barracuda is now a paperweight, along with all the data. I backed up everything important, but it's still going to be a huge PITA.

I'm one of the few guys that actually uses an EM bracelet, and still something borked the drive. Totally PO'd right now, but at least I'm almost finished with this upgrade. :bang head

Back