• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with installing Windows on P5k Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stanman16

Hi,
I just recently started putting together my system that I made. This is a basic rundown of the components
MB: P5k Premium (rev 2.00g) (Bios 0504 default, but flashed to 0612)
CPU: Q9450
RAM: G.SKill 4X2GB PC8000
GPU: ECS 8800GTS
PSU:Corsair HX620
HDD: 2X640GB Western Digital 6400AAKS

A few of the problems I ran into initially are the cpu not really being detected right. The bios flash fixed that quickly. Besides that, it also said that there was no primary IDE Hard drive. I don't really know what this means, but I was still able to continue a windows installation.

A vista installation would not even get past the first "loading files" screen and would bring up an error stating that there is either a faulty hard drive or faulty cd drive. Through testing, I have found that both the hard drive and the CD drive are not faulty at all.

An XP installation would go as far as copying the files but would end somewhere in the middle stating that one of the files could not be copied and the installation cannot continue.

I have heard that there was a history of Western Digital Drives and the P5K Premium having compatibility issues, but with my board/bios revision this shouldn't be the care anymore. Does it have something to do with the SATA Ports that I connect to (current the hard drives are in 3 and 4) or is there some bios setting that I have to set to make sure that there is a primary hard drive or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Try using just 1 stick of memory however this mobo does and as far as i know still has problems with wd drives in sata2. the work around is to set your drive jumpers to sata1 or as i did run seagate drives.

I haven't tried to run it with just one stick of ram, but I will. That doesn't seem like it would be the problem though.

What are AHCI drivers and where do I get them? I don't think I enabled it because I haven't touched any bios settings at all. I set up a raid array, but it was messed up before I did that. I haven't even gotten a windows installation in so I figured the most I could do was bios flash, but that didn't do anything either.

ahci raid drivers on your asus cd also updated drivers on asus site and intel site try reading you manual then ask what is not clear let us know how it goes
Rich

Do I really need to install these drivers if I never even get a windows installation done?

Is there a reason why the motherboard does not detect the two 640 GB WD drives as being the primary HDD Drive?

ive set it to both ide and raid and it doesnt do anything in terms of making the windows installation get anywhere at all. The manual is little to nothing concerning what each of the settings do either.

Back