• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coldblood06

Registered
I am at work and the boss wants to make this laptop the service techs use faster. i have a image of cpuz and its saying the package is sockect 479.

they want to up the ram and cpu, basiclly make it faster and less laggy. So i can find the ram no problem, i just have never done a cpu. i know how to get to the cpu and do that. need to make sure i purchase correctly.

???

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 93
There are 2 paths you can go for the cpu upgrade with that Dothan based system. The conventional way would be for the boss to spring for a new (or used) Pentium M 770 or 780 cpu and simply install it. Or he can buy an old Pentium M 735 or 725 and you do a 100>133 fsb wire mod in the processor socket. It is simple to remove the proc from the socket, BTW. You just turn the little screw head at the socket top to un-cam the socket and simply pick the processor out of the socket. The mobile sockets use the screw type cam to lock the processor into the socket instead of an arm type cam like the old socket 478 boards used for clearance issues.

So i was looking at newegg and i was confused on finding one, i am the it guy so i would do it. but would they be able to have a dual core, and really i want to know what will work.

something like??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111303
or is there a cheaper better option. i don't know a budget limit, but i know they would perfer not to buy a new laptop overall

That one won't fit in the socket. You'll need to find a Dothan. I don't think Intel even makes those anymore, I'm afraid.

I would consider upgrading to a new laptop. That socket is rapidly dying out, and upgrades and parts will be increasingly scarce. Just get a midrange core 2 duo laptop, I am sure that be much better than getting a new CPU for that one.

Back