• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTX problem. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Parr70

OK, I recently purchased an 8800GTX to replace my ATI x1900xtx. My systems is an Opteron processor, an a8r32-mvp deluxe motherboard, 2 gigs of ram, and a 620w power supply.

When I first pulled the 1900xtx, and put in the 8800gtx, everything went fine, removed the ati drivers, put the nvidia drivers on, and booted up the game that I bought the card for "Age of Conan"

I was getting much better FPS than I was used to, so I decided to upgrade some of the video settings in the game, one of these, was on accident changing it to DX10, (I have XP). Immediately after I did that, the game locked up and got all sorts of funky colors on the screen. Not only did the game lock up, but my whole PC locked up, and I had to manually reboot by hitting the button.

Since that time, I tried booting into the game about 5 more times, every time the same thing, it would lock up my whole PC causing me to reboot manually. I went into the settings and changed it back to DX9, put everything on the lowest setting but it continued to happen.

Then, on the last reboot, I noticed that I got no signal at all. The machine booted up just fine, no errors, no beeps, just no signal in my monitor. I tried unplugging and replugging all the cables to my monitor but still no signal.

So I pulled out the 8800GTX, put back in my X1900xtx, and everything is working fine again. Did I screw something up by switching it to DX10, or is this just a coincidence?

Do you guys think the card itself is faulty?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome...:beer:

I doubt you did any damage to the card by switching the game to DX-10. more likely the game itself is the problem.

Sorry I cant give you any specific help, but I would try to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, clean everything up with driver cleaner, and then reinstall.

You can also try a system restore back to before the problem happened...might help might not, but I think its worth a try.
good luck and hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon

Try re-installing the nVidia drivers, or finding the AOC config file and deleteing it (after backing it up!), or re- install AOC.

Thanks for the replies, I will try that, but the computer is running just fine right now with the nvidia drivers installed, and using my ATI x1900xtx card.

You really think it could be the drivers or the game more than a defective card?

Very much so. I know your symptoms must seem odd, but its most likely a software based problem. With the ati card installed, properly remove the NV drivers using DriverCleaner3. If that doesn't fix it, go after the game. Cheers!

Back