• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hunting for material

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csplinter

Registered
I need to find a source of cheap lightweight 120mm square tubing. I need a few inches for channeling air between two 120mm fans directly across from each other. Plastic would be ideal. Please, no suggestions on how I can construct something like this from four sheets of plastic, or anything like that, it goes without saying.

Why not use regular or clear PVC pipe? You can probably pick up some scraps for free or very little if you look around. Of course that is round, you are wanting square?

E

Last edited:
Why not use regular or clear PVC pipe? You can probably pick up some scraps for free or very little if you look around. Of course that is round, you are wanting square?

E

Yes, square. I was hoping to attach some sort of bracket that would allow me to use screws to attach it to the fans. I think regular, round pvc would make that more difficult to accomplish. The typical thickness of pvc pipe at the diameter I'm looking for is also kind of an issue. There is stuff like this http://k-mac-plastics.com/pvc-square-tubing.htm , but that's much too thick. I'm trying to direct air, not contain high pressure water, you know. I was hoping I would get lucky and someone would say, "oh yea, just ask for a ____ at an air conditioner repair shop" :) I'll probably just build something I guess.

Could you just use sheets of alum and bend it? On one side you could use L brackets to rivet the whole thing in place.

Walk around WalMart and look at stuff. You may find something you can re-purpose there.

Hmm, cardboard milk carton?

I can almost guarantee you everyone will say 'make something yourself.' Since I'm not case window guy I would make it out of cardboard :p

One option, although not plastic, would be a flexible metal duct like a clothes dryer vent. the material is thin with ribs to make it stiff and I bet you could bend the ribs to make them square. As for the size you'd have to try some out and see.

Back