• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuner / Capture card for Windows 2000 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mortimer

Looking for recommendations for a TV tuner/Capture card that will work on Windows 2000 Professional. Bonus points for *nix support. This will almost certainly be the last M$ O/S that I use. Something like VMware is also a possibility.

My initial input will be Comcast coax. I have two PCI and one PCIEx1 slots available.

I had one of the Leadtek Winfast 2000 cards. It worked, but I was under-impressed. I have been looking at the Hauppauge PVR 150 but the supply seems to be drying up.

Hardware wise I have an AMD 3600 running at 2.85GHz CPU/2GB of 950 DDR2 RAM/900 HTT. Using a 1680x1050 LCD. I'll get more disk space if needed.

Thanks!

For older support, you'll probably need an older card. Hauppauge PVR-150 will work under 2000 and *NIX. It's analog-only, however, so forget direct-to-wall after next February.

There may be some current digital cards that will work under 2000 that show only back to XP support, but I can't begin to guess which would.

For older support, you'll probably need an older card. Hauppauge PVR-150 will work under 2000 and *NIX. It's analog-only, however, so forget direct-to-wall after next February.

There may be some current digital cards that will work under 2000 that show only back to XP support, but I can't begin to guess which would.

That's only true for OTA. Cable operators such as Comcast will still be using analog long after the OTA changeover to digital. Because the OP plans to use a Comcast line for input, they should be fine with an analog tuner for at least a while.

My suggestion is also the PVR-150. It is widely supported making it an excellent choice for an analog tuner.

If you want digital / HD capability (either an ATSC or QAM tuner) then something like a Hauppauge HVR-1250 or a FusionHDTV7 Gold RT from DViCO would work. The FusionHDTV7 Gold RT definitely supports Windows 2000 which can be verified on this page. However, it is a lesser known tuner and I can't speak to how compatible or not it is. The Hauppauge HVR-1250 on the other hand I know is widely supported, but I doubt it works with Win2k.

Oh wow...I didn't realize that it was only affecting the broadcast stations that were analog. Now I don't understand the huge fuss (except for those that aren't on cable, of course).

In that case, DVICO are nice...I have one myself. It was just not very VMC-friendly.

Thank you Jon. Twice. VMC?

Thank you as well doublejack. Wondering which of these cards performs better.

I'll probably get a converter box as I have one of the $40 cards and might need one in the future.

I use the PVR 150, As far as recording and playback, I love it, I am however not impressed with the actual tv function, Could be my LCD, I honestly don't know, Anything I record and then watch on my DLP looks very nice though. I am using XP though with Purevideo.

Back