• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reviving an old 478 northy agp system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e6600

i have this custom built super old custom built P4 2.4, with an unknown chipset, psu, possibly even ram. (the pc is in storage atm, and ill get it out soon so ill have updated stats)

what i want to do is buy a new monitor, ram, and gpu.
im already ordering a 22inch acer monitor, 2x 1gb gskill DDR1 184.

but the problem is my gpu choice, i want a agp gpu that will be compatiable with my system and more importantly play wow at 1680res maxed settings and a good consistant fps (30+)

budget? doesnt matter as long as i dont go above $100. ive looked at the 2600XT, 7600GS, even 3850 :))). ive heard very very mixed reviews about ati/amd's current agp cards, with people saying that they have custom unupdatable drivers, and are very unstable with some games including WOW.
for that reason, im considering just buying the 7600GS, but another factor is that it might not be able to play wow at 1680res.
if i could just find a 1950PRO agp though, then my problems would be solved ^_^

ill definately oc the gpu or buy get a psu, but i cant oc the cpu/ram. the chipset is insanely old, basically introduced during the northwood times, and has 0 ocing abilities.

i know 90% of people will just tell me to spend a few hundred bucks more and build a 5000be/2160 am2/775 system, but i just really dont have that money :(

a friend of mine bought a 3650 AGP. In terms of price/performance, that would be the furthest i would go for an agp system. The 3650 should be > 2600XT // 7600GS

a friend of mine bought a 3650 AGP. In terms of price/performance, that would be the furthest i would go for an agp system. The 3650 should be > 2600XT // 7600GS

thanks for reply,
ive looked at the 3650 and on newegg the only version has GDDR2 memory, while the 2600XT has GDDR3 mem. and i know that makes a huge difference.

ive looked at other sites, and even searched on google shopping but no results have shown up :(

but if i can find this GDDR3 3650 version, then i would definately buy it

The 3850 512mb AGP is selling for only $150 at newegg and NCIX, though you will have to deal with the CPU being a bottleneck at only 2.4ghz. X1950 Pro AGP would be the best find though yea, if you find one it will probably be $150 if not higher though.

Back