• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

750gb Seagate Vs WD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbq

750gb 7200.11 Vs 750gb GreenPower which one is better in performance people?

Thank you

teh seagate since its 7200rpm i believe. However the 640gb WD should be faster than both since its only 2 platters.

we have 2 models of 1Tb drive

WD10EVCS and WD10EACS which one is 3 platters?
anyway none of them is faster than wd 640Gb version right?

I've heard that cache isn't that important that is why reviewers don't mention about cache.

we have 2 models of 1Tb drive

WD10EVCS and WD10EACS which one is 3 platters?
anyway none of them is faster than wd 640Gb version right?

none of those are 3 platters. I can't recall the model # of the 3 platter 1tb WD harddrives. I know Samsungs are the F1 green models. And yes none of them is faster than the wd640gb

As far as cache goes, I believe it applies to transferring large files.

It goes like this:

WD640 > Seagate 750-1TB > WD 1TB (5400rpm)

The 7200.11 750GB drive with 32mb cache is blazingly fast but you have to be careful when shopping online for it, some are made in China and some in Thailand. The Chinese drives are mostly DOA or clicking :(

Heres a great article on benching a 8mb and 16mb cache harddrive:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/understanding-hard-drive-performance,1557-14.html

in conclusion, there is no significant improvement with bigger cache.

I beg to differ.....

Cache is the buffer memory between the controller and the Hard Drive. The more cache it has the faster data fetching or accessing on the Hard Drive will be.

Think of the same concept with CPUs. Hence why we go for the higher on die cache processors.

I beg to differ.....

Cache is the buffer memory between the controller and the Hard Drive. The more cache it has the faster data fetching or accessing on the Hard Drive will be.

Think of the same concept with CPUs. Hence why we go for the higher on die cache processors.
That's all great theory, but in the end, it matters which drive is fastest as a total package and I don't see any 32MB cache drives tops in performance.

Back